Dusty Baker: "Some people didn't like the s*** I was doing from the time we started"

8 Comments

Dusty Baker has the Reds in first place and headed to the playoffs for the first time since 1995, but the veteran manager seems fed up with fans and media members questioning his decisions.
Francisco Cordero has struggled of late, blowing a pair of saves while allowing six runs in his last four outings, and when asked yesterday about the possibility of Aroldis Chapman replacing Cordero as closer Baker responded:

There were some people who didn’t like the s*** I was doing from the time we started. They didn’t like my lineup. They didn’t like this. They didn’t like whatever the hell they didn’t like. I can’t worry about those people. Those people don’t manage this ball club. Those people don’t understand the psychological dynamics of your ball club. Let’s enjoy what we have instead of thinking about what we don’t have. How about that?

Mark Sheldon of MLB.com called it “a spirited defense” of Cordero, while John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote that the question “set Baker off.” Whatever the case, I don’t necessarily blame Baker for lashing out a bit, because rightly or wrongly he’s received a ton of criticism in recent years and now he’s managing a playoff-bound team that has dramatically out-performed expectations.
With that said, there’s never really anything to gain by essentially calling a segment of the fan base stupid. If they’re as stupid as Baker thinks, it’s not like they’ll say, “You know, he makes an excellent point, let’s focus on being more reasonable and positive going forward.”

Report: Astros may have been cheating throughout the postseason

Elsa/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Danny Picard of Boston Metro reports that, during Game 1 of the ALCS on Saturday, a man claiming to be an Astros employee was removed by security. The man was in the media-credentialed area next to the Red Sox dugout but he did not have media credentials. He was, however, using a small camera and texting frequently. When the man was taken away from the area, an Astros staffer tried to intervene, saying he was authorized to be in the area. Security did not buy the story, so the man was not allowed to return to that area but was allowed to remain in the ballpark.

This wasn’t the first time security had been made aware of the man. Apparently the same man had been up to some shady business during the ALDS against the Indians as well, which means the Astros may have been cheating throughout the postseason.

Representatives from all three teams have thus far opted not to comment on the matter. MLB chief communciations officer Pat Courtney said in an email on Tuesday, “We are aware of the matter and it will be handled internally.”

Teams, especially nowadays, are paranoid in the postseason about sign-stealing, so they’re always doing their due diligence to make sure their signs are secure. Sign-stealing is part of the gamesmanship of baseball. Players and coaches are, obviously, allowed to use their eyes, ears, and mouths to communicate about opposing teams’ signs. They’re not allowed to use any kind of technology, including cameras and cell phones. The Astros thought they could get away with this and they were wrong. Even if MLB’s look into the matter doesn’t result in anything, the Astros’ recent and upcoming accomplishments may be looked at with a raised eyebrow.