Jason Bay says a return this year is now "highly unlikely"

8 Comments

The hits keep coming for this Mets organization.

Outfielder Jason Bay told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York on Wednesday that he is “highly unlikely” to return to the big leagues this season despite showing signs of progress from a concussion.

Bay was placed on the disabled list in late July after suffering a concussion while running head-first into an outfield wall.  He’s no longer having headaches, but concussion victims are limited to only light workouts and he won’t be able to get his timing right before the end of the regular season.

“Given the lack of things that I’ve done at this point to get back on
there, I understand it’s probably highly unlikely, but it’s still a
goal,” Bay said Wednesday.  “Every day that passes and you don’t take these giant leaps forward, you realize you’re that much further behind.”

The 31-year-old Bay had a disappointing .259/.347/.402 batting line, six home runs and 47 RBI in 95 games before going down.  He is owed $48 million over the next three seasons.

Blake Wood has a damaged UCL

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register reports that Angels reliever Blake Wood underwent an MRI and was diagnosed with a damaged ulnar collateral ligament. Wood will seek further opinions before a course of treatment is decided. Tommy John surgery is a possibility.

Wood, 32, had been on a rehab assignment with High-A Inland Empire and has been on the disabled list since April 22. Prior to the injury, Wood compiled a 2.31 ERA with a 10/7 K/BB ratio in 11 2/3 innings.

Keynan Middleton recently underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a damaged UCL, so it’s not been a great time to be a member of the Angels’ bullpen.