Scully announces future plans: for now, not retiring

6 Comments

UPDATE:  Scully has decided to return.

8:52 AM:  Legendary Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully is scheduled to announce his plans for the future before Sunday’s game against the Reds.

Scully, who has broadcast Dodgers baseball for an absurd total of 61 years, is almost certainly leaning toward retirement.  He’s already cut down on the amount of road games that he calls each year, rarely traveling past the Rocky Mountains, and he has been working on a series of one-year contracts for the past several seasons.

It’s tough when legends call it quits, and it’s especially tough when it’s a guy like Scully.  He is the best in the business, even at age 82, and there isn’t a broadcaster or Giants fan that would disagree.

Scully spoke to the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night:

“I know what I am going to do and I would imagine the Dodgers will
arrange things so an announcement can be made before [Sunday’s] game,”
said Scully. “I’d like
to do that so everyone hears it at the same time. It’s the proper way to
do it.”

It sure sounds like he’s going to hang up his microphone for good.  If we’re lucky — and it almost feels selfish to hope for it — Scully will give us one final season of flawless storytelling and broadcasting genius.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
26 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.