John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds will call up top pitching prospect Aroldis Chapman from Triple-A Louisville on September 1. Why not sooner? Well, here’s what manager Dusty Baker told Fay and the Enquirer on Wednesday:
“Who do you take off (the roster)?” Baker said. “It would be somebody else who
pitched well. Everyone in the bullpen is throwing excellent. … That’s
not a good message to our guys here when you perform well and get sent
out. They’re looking over their shoulder for fear of getting sent out. I
want them looking at the prize at the end, not looking behind them.”
Chapman, of course, was inked to a five-year, $30 million contract in January. He has spent most of 2010 as a starter, but the Reds shifted him to relief when it became apparent that he wasn’t going to be needed in the rotation this season.
The move, so far, has worked brilliantly. The 22-year-old Chapman has fanned 41 batters and tallied a 2.77 ERA in 26 innings out of the bullpen. He should give a nice shot of energy to the Reds down the stretch.