Remember that Buster Olney article I linked yesterday in which he relayed anonymous GM scouting reports on other GMs? Well, Brian Sabean — who was pretty much slammed in it — isn’t happy with the results:
“I’ve never talked to Buster. I tried to reach him today
to have a productive conversation. I was told he polled 12 GMs and 7
responded . . . The article is what it is, but it’s backhanded. There
should be further explanation and there is not. It comes down to
management style, and when it comes down to it, he didn’t poll 30
Sabean’s actually wrong on the numbers: Buster actually got responses from 12 GMs, not seven. Seven of those 12 named Sabean the most difficult guy to deal with. Finding seven GMs to agree on anything seems like a pretty tall order, so I’m willing to give Olney the benefit of the doubt here.
Not that Olney’s poll was perfect or anything. One of the respondents described Arizona Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes thusly: “I think he’s smart as hell, he’s well thought-out, and he’s a good
That would be ex-Diamonbacks GM Josh Byrnes, of course. Between his firing and Sabean’s inexplicable longevity, I guess being as smart as hell doesn’t count for much these days.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.