Bobby Valentine may still be a candidate for the Marlins' gig

2 Comments

We haven’t gotten any official, on-the-record word from anyone about what’s going on with the Marlins’ manager hunt, so we may as well fight the unconfirmed “Bobby V. is out” fire with some contradictory fire from the Miami Herald:

On Sunday, a major-league source told The Miami Herald that Bobby
Valentine, who was believed to be the front-runner for the job that
opened when Fredi Gonzalez was fired last week, was no longer a
candidate. Other local and national media outlets reported the same
information, and baseball commissioner Bud Selig was notified of that
decision.

On Monday, though, another big-league source said not
to count out Valentine just yet.

“Everybody’s still a
candidate,” including Valentine, the source said.

Asked on
Monday if the Marlins had told him he was no longer being considered,
Valentine text-messaged a one-word reply: “No.”

This has all the stink of an internal power struggle, not a falling out between Valentine and the team. If it was the latter, both Valentine and the Marlins would have had their spin out by now, with Bobby V. surrogates talking about mixed signals from the team and team surrogates talking about Valentine being a prima donna or whatever.

We have none of that. We do have someone leaking to the Miami reporter that they’re still considering Bobby and someone else leaking to Jon Heyman — who makes his home in Miami in the winter — that the team has moved on to other candidates.

It’s all speculation on my part, if I had to guess, the Valentine-loving Loria or someone close to him is talking to the Miami Herald and someone closer to baseball operations is talking to Heyman, each side trying to create their own reality with the spin.

Which is great fun for all of us who aren’t Marlins fans.

(thanks to Old Gator for the heads up)

Report: Marlins, Mets, Yankees have discussed three-team trade involving J.T. Realmuto

Kiyoshi Ota/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Marlins, Mets, and Yankees have had discussions about a three-team trade in which Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto would go to the Mets. It’s not known which other players were discussed in the deal, but Rosenthal notes that the Mets wouldn’t be willing to part with Noah Syndergaard if they are only getting Realmuto in return.

Realmuto, 27, was the best offensive catcher in baseball in 2018, batting .277/.340/.484 with 21 home runs and 74 RBI in 531 plate appearances. He has two more years of team control remaining until he becomes eligible for free agency, adding to his value.

The Mets’ catching corps currently includes Kevin Plawecki and Travis d'Arnaud, so Realmuto would be a significant upgrade. Such a trade would be the club’s second big splash of the offseason as the Mets finalized a trade to acquire second baseman Robinson Canó and closer Edwin Díaz from the Mariners earlier this month.

Interestingly, the Mets and Yankees haven’t made a deal involving major league players since December 2004, when the two sides swapped pitchers Mike Stanton and Félix Heredia, Rosenthal points out.