The Cubs suspended right-hander Carlos Zambrano indefinitely on Friday after he went on a tirade in the dugout, and then stripped him of his rotation spot on Saturday. Now he’s getting the silent treatment.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, the Cubs have not spoken with Zambrano since he was handed the team-imposed indefinite suspension on Friday evening.
“I think until something gets rectified, I think probably the less
conversation the better,” Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Sunday.
“He’ll have some issues to deal with [regarding] his teammates,” added GM Jim Hendry.
So it sounds like the club is waiting for an apology from Zambrano, and will continue to play with a 24-man roster until Big Z himself cleans up the mess. We’ll have to see how that goes, and whether the Cubs can head into a busy upcoming week one man short. Big Z has posted a 5.66 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP in 22 outings (nine starts) this season. He has a 4.15 ERA as a reliever and a 6.12 ERA as a starter.
Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.
Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.
Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.
As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.