The Phillies made it through Wednesday’s game against the Cardinals without a fan running onto the field for the first time in three nights. Deserving or undeserving, let’s chalk up some of the credit to their new stadium policies.
According to the Associated Press, via NBCSports.com, Philadelphia police officers will no longer be involved in the apprehension of fans that run onto the Citizens Bank Park field, unless completely necessary. It was a city cop who tased and arrested Steven Consalvi on Monday night. On Wednesday, his family issued an apology:
“Steve and his family wish to apologize to all
Philadelphia Phillies fans, the entire Philadelphia Phillies
organization, players, staff and security, as well as the Philadelphia
Police Department for what occurred that evening,” attorney Steven F.
O’Meara said in a statement. “His family hopes and prays that people will
understand that teenagers do impulsive things. This
young man has never been in trouble before and has learned a valuable
The Phillies also established a new fine for fans that enter the field of play: $2500. We can only hope that puts a stop to the attention-seekers. Or, as the Consalvi family likes to call them, “impulsive teenagers.”
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.