Cubs prospect Tyler Colvin wins Opening Day job

Leave a comment

In a surprise move, the Cubs have decided to keep 24-year-old outfield prospect Tyler Colvin on the Opening Day roster. Colvin is slated for a bench role, although manager Lou Piniella said that he hopes to find the former first-round pick 2-3 starts per week.
Piniella cited Colvin’s outstanding spring training performance as the reason for making the team, but basing decisions on 20 exhibition games against inconsistent levels of competition is usually a mistake and I’m not sure what the big rush is with Colvin.
He’s been excellent this spring and hit .300 with an .859 OPS in 89 games at Double-A last season, but he had an ugly 57/16 K/BB ratio in the process and before that Colvin struggled so much at Double-A the previous season that the Cubs demoted him back to Single-A.
His plate discipline and strike-zone control have improved, but only from horrendous to merely bad, and Colvin has yet to log a single plate appearance at Triple-A. Why jump him from Double-A to the majors just so he can mostly sit on the bench behind Alfonso Soriano, Marlon Byrd, Kosuke Fukudome, and Xavier Nady? Why not send him to Triple-A, let him prove that his recent success is for real, and call him up when you actually need him?

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.