Hong-Chih Kuo shut down; likely headed for DL

Leave a comment

Kuo headshot.jpgThe Dodgers have shut down reliever Hong-Chih Kuo for the second time in the past week after he felt continued discomfort in his left elbow on Friday, reports Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“Nothing felt really bad, but it wasn’t real good as far as how it
felt,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “I don’t think he will be shut
down for an extended period of time, but we will have to see what
happens.

Kuo first complained of soreness when he was scratched from pitching in his native Taiwan two weeks ago. Though a precautionary MRI earlier this week found his elbow to structurally sound, he only has two outings under his belt this spring. Today’s setback all but guarantees that he’ll begin the season on the disabled list.

“It wouldn’t surprise me,” Torre said. “It’s just the fact that we’re
this close to the end. But I’m not sure at this point.”

The 28-year-old Kuo has a long history of elbow problems, including two Tommy John surgeries. Just last season he said that he would retire before undergoing another surgery on his elbow.
 

Report: Welington Castillo to be suspended 80 games for violating Joint Drug Agreement

David Banks/Getty Images
2 Comments

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic confirms a report from journalist Américo Celado that White Sox catcher Welington Castillo will be suspended 80 games for violating baseball’s Joint Drug Agreement. Castillo was believed to have used a steroid, but according to Rosenthal, the substance was not a steroid. More details should come on Thursday.

Castillo, 31, entered Wednesday’s action batting .270/.314/.477 with six home runs and 15 RBI in 118 plate appearances. He has gotten the bulk of the work behind the plate, backed up by Omar Narváez.

Castillo’s absence will likely prompt the White Sox to call up Kevan Smith from Triple-A Charlotte. Smith battled an ankle injury in March and April, so he got a late start to the season. In 102 PA at Triple-A, he has hit .283/.343/.457.