Are the Yankees upset with A-Rod?

Leave a comment

Alex Rodriguez homer.jpgYes, this story is a day old, but I couldn’t resist the temptation to point out a piece that will get everyone worked up over nothing.

Bob Raissman of the New York Daily News writes that the Yankees are furious that Alex Rodriguez did not immediately inform them that he had been contacted by the feds to testify in a case regarding Canadian doctor (and known HGH distributor) Anthony Galea.

“They (Yankees brass) don’t like being blindsided,” said a TV industry
source who deals with the Yankees and YES.
“If Rodriguez isn’t protecting the organization paying him a fortune,
why should the organization go out of its way to protect him?”

OK, fair enough. They probably are. They have every right to be. But his proof that they’re displeased? The broadcast of A-Rod’s first at-bat of the spring:

“That all amounts to a huge sigh or relief for Alex Rodriguez, who
now comes into camp healthy,” Michael Kay, YES’ play-by-play man, said as Rodriguez stepped in Wednesday
to face Pirates pitcher Ross Ohlendorf.

As soon as those uplifting words left Kay’s mouth, Ken Singleton, his partner, down-shifted into the dark
side. Singleton started talking about last spring, hip surgery and “uh,
uh, steroids.”

Kay quickly said: “Now Alex was looking to have a very, very quiet
spring this year with health and the world championship, but he was
questioned by the media the other day because he’s going to be
questioned by FBI officials about the Canadian-based doctor Anthony
Galea . . .”

Now, keep in mind that I didn’t see the at-bat, but only on YES would telling the truth be construed as punishment. The YES broadcasters have been known to coddle the home team, but more in a “rah-rah” way than anything resembling state-run television. Again, just my opinion, but I find it really hard to believe that Kay’s words were the result of any edict from above. 

Marlins announce signing of Victor Victor Mesa, Victor Mesa, Jr.

Getty Images
2 Comments

The Miami Marlins have been stockpiling international bonus money of late and now that has paid off, as they just formally announced the signing of top international prospect Victor Victor Mesa.

They have also signed his brother, the less-regarded prospect Victor Mesa, Jr. It was, presumably, a package deal. Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com reports that Victor Victor, 22, will receive about $5.25 million while his 17-year-old brother gets a $1 million bonus.

Victor Victor was ranked as the No. 1 player in this year’s international signing class. He’s a plus outfield defender with a strong arm and he has serious wheels as well. He played for Matanzas in Cuba’s Serie Nacional when he was only 16 and was 3-for-7 with two doubles for Cuba during last year’s World Baseball Classic.

Victor Mesa Jr. is a switch-hitting outfielder with potential, but unlike his brother, he’s like to spend considerable time in the minors. Most scouts believe Victor Victor will debut with the Marlins as early as next season.

The Mesa brothers are the son of Victor Mesa, who played in Serie Nacional from the 1970’s into the 1990s and starred on the Cuban national team. He has also managed in Cuba, in Mexico and for Cuba’s 2017 World Baseball Classic team.