If Canseco wants a fight, Herschel Walker 'will hurt' him

Leave a comment

herschel-walker-mma.standard[1].jpgA couple of days ago Jose Canseco broke out of his shell and decided to – for once – attract a little bit of attention to himself, humbly offering to show former Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker the ropes around the MMA world.

Actually, in a tweet, what Canseco wrote was that he would “have to show Herschel Walker who the real bad Boy of the Sports Industry is.”

Walker (pictured), the former NFL running back who also competed on the U.S. Olympic bobsled team in 1992 and holds a fifth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, is now dabbling in MMA. In his first bout on Saturday, the 47-year-old Walker beat a 26-year-old Hungarian fighter.

So if Canseco’s aim was to strike fear in Walker’s heart, well, I think you’d have to consider that a major fail. Here is Walker’s response to the former slugger’s offer:

“What I do is not a circus …,” Walker told hosts of The Bob & Dan Show, which was broadcasting from Miami for the Super Bowl. “I didn’t get into this to make money, I got into it for the competition. Jose is doing this for the money and my thing is, if he wants to fight me and thinks it’s going to be a circus, I will hurt him. This is not a joke, I will hurt him.”

Canseco does have some “experience” in the ring. Last May, he lasted 77 seconds before being knocked out by a 7-foot-2 Chinese fighter in an MMA bout. Last January, he managed a draw after staggering, but failing to knock out, former child acting star Danny Bonaduce in a boxing match. And in 2008, Canseco was dominated by former Philadelphia Eagle Vai Sikahema in a boxing match ambitiously titled the “War at the Shore.”

But despite his dubious fighting history, Canseco isn’t backing down. Just tonight he tweeted this:

Just so you know, I was not professionally trained to fight in any of my other fights. Things will be different this time around.

Beware Herschel, beware.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

Clayton Kershaw might return to the Dodgers’ rotation next week

AP Images
Leave a comment

Dodgers southpaw Clayton Kershaw is nearing his return to the mound, according to club manager Dave Roberts. Both Kershaw (left biceps tendinitis) and fellow lefty Rich Hill (left middle finger blister) are scheduled to toss simulated games on Saturday; depending on the outcome, Roberts says Kershaw could forgo a minor league assignment and slot back into the rotation by Thursday.

Kershaw, 30, was diagnosed with biceps tendinitis as the team closed out their Mexico Series at the start of the month. He has not made a start in several weeks, but was finally able to resume throwing on Sunday and managed to get through two successful bullpen sessions. Though Dodgers’ ace hasn’t been completely injury-free over his 11-year career in the majors, this is the first significant issue he’s had with his pitching arm so far. The team is expected to take every precaution with the lefty, and will likely limit him to just four innings during Saturday’s simulated game.

Prior to his injury, Kershaw was working on another dominant run with the club, sporting a 2.86 ERA, 2.0 BB/9 and 9.8 SO/9 through his first 44 innings of the season. While Kershaw, Hill and left-handed starter Hyun-Jin Ryu served their respective terms on the disabled list this month, the Dodgers utilized a combination of relievers Ross Stripling and Brock Stewart, both of whom impressed during their limited time in the rotation.