Mets are "disappointed" in Beltran; won't take any further action

Leave a comment

UPDATE:  The Mets have spoken.  Assistant GM John Rico says that they say that they had the conversations with Boras, but that “the conversation
with Scott was very direct in we said we do not want him to
have surgery until we’ve reviewed the info.” Ricco said that the team wanted a “third opinion.”  They are “disappointed” in Beltran for getting the surgery without team consent, but that they will not file any sort of grievance or otherwise take action against Beltran or Boras or anyone. 

At this point I’d call it case-closed. Bad communication on each side, it would seem, and perhaps a bit of mistrust of the Mets and their medical staff on behalf of Beltran and Boras.  At this point, however, I think the Mets will let this go completely as long as they have a healthy and productive Carlos Beltran come, say, May. 

1:59 P.M:  Boras is awesome for getting ahead of the news. In about, oh, a minute, the Mets are holding a conference call to address the Carlos Beltran situation.  Presumably they’re still upset and will explain why. Boras preempts them with this:

Scott Boras told me the office for Dr. Richard Steadman, the surgeon
who performed Carlo Beltran’s knee surgery, received workman’s
compensation paperwork to pay for the procedure from Mets’ trainer Ray
Ramirez.

“The Mets gave consent to pay for the surgery,” Boras said.

Boras also said he had conversations on Tuesday with both Jeff Wilpon
and Omar Minaya about the surgery. Beltran also spoke with Minaya,
according to Boras.

I suppose there could be some other level of consent that is technically required here, but if what Boras said is true, the Mets can’t honestly claim that they didn’t know what was going on, can they?

Carlos Carrasco pitched in game action

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Indians starter Carlos Carrasco was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this summer. He’d been out since June. Despite that diagnosis, he and the Indians insisted that he would make every effort to come back this year. Yesterday he took a big step in that direction, making his first rehab appearance at Double-A Akron.

He only tossed one inning, walking one batter and striking out another. He thew 16 pitches but cranked it up to 97 with his first offering. Not too shabby.

It’s unclear what the timetable is for him returning to Cleveland. If they intend to use him as a starter again he’ll obviously need several more appearances to get stretched out. If he’s to be used as a reliever, fewer obviously. What his stamina level is and will be is also an open question.

However that gets sorted out, it’s good so have him back in action.