Aaron and the Maris family forgive McGwire

Leave a comment

Hank Aaron on Mark McGwire’s mea culpa:

“I think that it’s wonderful that he did this. It takes a big man to admit this and I want to commend him for that. A
lot of people make mistakes, and for him to stand up and admit what he
has done in the past, I think it’s very admirable.

“As far as I’m concerned he has asked for forgiveness. He
has my forgiveness. If that’s all that stands in the way between him
being inducted into Cooperstown we should all forgive him. He didn’t commit murder. He didn’t commit robbery. He said he took steroids.”

McGwire offered a personal apology to Roger Maris’ widow too. While the family still understandably thinks that Roger should have the record, check out their response:

“He told her he had something to tell her – he just wanted her to
know the news was going to break and that he did do steroids,” Rich
Maris said. “He apologized to her, to my dad, to us kids. That speaks
volumes to the kind of guy he is . . . My mom was very touched by his call. She felt sorry for Mark – that
he’s going through this. She conveyed that we all make mistakes and
move on from there.”

“This [McGwire’s steroid use] is something we thought all along. It
wasn’t so much a surprise, but I feel bad for Mark. He’s a very genuine
guy and we’re close to him – we love him like a brother. I’m glad he
got it out.”

Anyone want to bet whether Aaron’s and the Maris family’s responses will shut up the moralizers in the media who claim to be defending the legacy of the home run hitters of yore?  I don’t know about you, but I’m not holding my breath. Outrage is too fun to give up easily.

Brewers to give Mike Moustakas a look at second base

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images
8 Comments

The Brewers reportedly signed third baseman Mike Moustakas to a one-year, $10 million contract on Sunday. While the deal is not yet official, MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy reports that the Brewers plan to give Moustakas a look at second base during spring training. If all goes well, he will be the primary second baseman and Travis Shaw will stay at third base.

The initial thought was that Moustakas would simply take over at third base for the more versatile Shaw. Moustakas has spent 8,035 of his career defensive innings at third base, 35 innings at first base, and none at second. In fact, he has never played second base as a pro player. Shaw, meanwhile, has spent 268 of his 4,073 1/3 defensive innings in the majors at second base and played there as recently as October.

This is certainly an interesting wrinkle to signing Moustakas, who is a decent third baseman. He was victimized by another slow free agent market, not signing until March last year on a $6.5 million deal with a $15 million mutual option for this season. That option was declined, obviously, and he ended up signing for $5 million cheaper here in February as the Brewers waited him out. Notably, Moustakas did not have qualifying offer compensation attached to him this time around.

Last season, between the Royals and Brewers, the 30-year-old Moustakas hit .251/.315/.459 with 28 home runs and 95 RBI in 635 plate appearances.