Dodger signings: Mientkiewicz, Towers, Ayala

Leave a comment

While the Dodgers have yet to confirm the Jamey Carroll signing (his agent has, however), they did add several veterans on minor league deals announced Thursday, including first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz, infielder Angel Berroa, RHP Josh Towers and RHP Luis Ayala.
It’s necessary depth for a team that’s bled prospects recently and can’t afford a bunch of additional veteran options right now.
Mientkiewicz’s return was a surprise. He said he came back last year to get the 10 years of service time he’d need to qualify for a full pension. He ended up spending 4 1/2 months on the disabled list with a dislocated shoulder, but he hit the 10-year mark anyway. It seems unlikely that the Dodgers will want to carry him again when they already have a left-handed-hitting first baseman in James Loney and another possible left-handed-hitting infield reserve in Blake DeWitt.
Berroa added a little life to his floundering career by hitting .230/.304/.310 in 226 at-bats with the Dodgers in 2008 before jumping to the Yankees last winter. The decision presumably will result in him being mailed a World Series ring in April, but he ended up with just 22 at-bats with the Bombers and 27 more with the Mets, and he finished up 7-for-49. He shouldn’t be a candidate to break camp with the Dodgers.
Towers also spent a portion of last season with the Yankees, making two relief appearances for the club. He spent the bulk of the year going 7-6 with a 2.74 ERA in 18 starts for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. With no fastball to speak of and a tendency to give up long flyballs, Towers is strictly Triple-A depth for the Dodgers.
Ayala finished with a 5.71 ERA for the Nationals and Mets in 2008 and a 5.62 ERA for the Twins and Marlins last season. The 31-year-old was a pretty extreme groundball pitcher prior to blowing out his elbow in the 2006 World Baseball Classic, but his sinker isn’t what it was and probably never will be again. The Dodgers should have better options for their last couple of bullpen spots.

Carlos Martínez to work out of Cardinals’ bullpen for rest of season

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

When Cardinals starter Carlos Martínez returns from the disabled list, likely some time next week, he will pitch out of the bullpen, MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosch reports. Martínez has been on the disabled list since late July with a strained right shoulder. The plan is still for Martínez to start in 2019 and beyond.

GM John Mozeliak said, “If you’re going to go down that starting path and you’re starting at ground zero, the likelihood of him being back would be sometime in mid-September. And we’ve done that twice this year and ended up in the same place after a few starts.”

Martínez, 26, has a 3.41 ERA and a 98/49 K/BB ratio in 100 1/3 innings across 18 starts this season. The Cardinals’ rotation currently features Miles Mikolas, Jack Flaherty, John Gant, Luke Weaver, and Austin Gomber.

The Cardinals entered play Monday 2.5 games out of the second Wild Card slot in the National League, so adding Martínez to the bullpen — or, subtracting him from the rotation, depending on how you look at it — could make a significant impact on the club’s playoff chances.