10 Type A free agents receive arbitration offers

Leave a comment

With the deadline here, we now have official word on the free agents offered arbitration by their teams.
Type A free agents:
Jason Bay, Red Sox – Yes
Rafael Betancourt, Rockies – Yes
Orlando Cabrera, Twins – No (Contract rules out an arbitration offer)
Johnny Damon, Yankees – No
Octavio Dotel, White Sox – No
Jermaine Dye, White Sox – No
Chone Figgins, Angels – Yes
Mike Gonzalez, Braves – Yes
Kevin Gregg, Cubs – No
LaTroy Hawkins, Astros – No
Matt Holliday, Cardinals – Yes
Orlando Hudson, Dodgers – No
John Lackey, Angels – Yes
Bengie Molina, Giants – No
Darren Oliver, Angels – No
Placido Polanco, Tigers – No
Marco Scutaro, Blue Jays – Yes
Rafael Soriano, Braves – Yes
Miguel Tejada, Astros – No
Jose Valverde, Astros – Yes
Billy Wagner, Red Sox – Yes
Randy Wolf, Dodgers – No
The big surprise here is Wolf, as touched upon earlier.
With Hawkins also falling into the “no” category,, there are just 10 free agents set to require draft-pick compensation. One of those, Betancourt, may very well accept the arbitration offer. There’s a slight chance that Soriano could as well. None of the other players figure to do so.
Wolf, Damon, Hudson, Molina and Hawkins just received significant boosts to their value this winter. Teams that would have been hesitant to give up a first-rounder for them no longer have to worry about it.
Here’s the list of Type B free agents to get offered arbitration:
Rod Barajas, Adrian Beltre, Marlon Byrd, Mark DeRosa, Justin Duchscherer, Brandon Lyon, Jason Marquis, Carl Pavano, Joel Pineiro, Fernando Rodney, Ivan Rodriguez, Brian Shouse, Gregg Zaun
In some of these cases, there could well be an agreement in place for the player to decline arbitration. Rodriguez and Zaun would seem to be likely candidates there. The players, being Type Bs, have nothing to lose in such an arrangement. The teams, on the other hand, would gain a supplemental first-round pick if the offer is rejected and the player departs.
Notable Type Bs not receiving offers include Vladimir Guerrero, Mike Cameron, Nick Johnson, Andy LaRoche, Carlos Delgado, Felipe Lopez, Andy Pettitte, Rich Harden and Erik Bedard.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
19 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.