Yankees still have Mitre in plans after declining option

Leave a comment

mitre getty.jpgSure, $1.25 million is barely a drop in the bucket for the Bombers, but why spend it if you don’t have to?
The Yankees on Tuesday declined Sergio Mitre’s $1.25 million option for 2010, but did so while retaining the 28-year-old’s rights for 2009. That’s because Mitre is short of the six years of service time he’d need for free agency.
Mitre is now eligible for arbitration, and it’s unlikely that he’ll be able to ask for more than $1 million after going 3-3 with a 6.79 ERA in nine starts and three relief appearances in his return from Tommy John surgery last season. The right-hander has a career ERA of 5.56 in 61 starts and 29 relief appearance.
If Mitre isn’t willing to accept a modest one-year deal, the Yankees could always non-tender him next month. But it’s more likely that they’ll keep him around and settle on a contract closer to arbitration season. He should enter spring training no higher than sixth or seventh on the rotation depth chart, so he’ll have a fight on his hands if he’s going to make the team as a middle reliever.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
19 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.