The New York Post is known for stirring the pot with its screaming headlines and creative uses of photo shop (Pedro’s head on a baby’s body?) But they can push the envelope just as well with word-play. This from Angela Montefinise:
Big Apple women may soon be able to take a ride on Derek Jeter — the bridge, that is. Bronx leaders have proposed naming the soon-to-be-built East 153rd Street bridge for the Yankee shortstop.
Maybe it’s just me, but it seems kind of sexist that only women will be allowed to use the bridge. I’m sure there are plenty of male Yankee fans who have man-crushes on their beloved shortstop — and could also use an easier commute.
OK, OK I get it. She’s being edgy. And at least Ms. Montefinise waits until the bottom of her story to mention the length of “The Jeter” (512 feet!!).
But there are two things I’m wondering about.
1) The bridge costs only $87 million. Jeter himself will make $21 million next season, the final year of his 10-year $189-million deal. This doesn’t seem like a match to me, almost like the city is being a little cheap. In fact, maybe they should just rename the whole town “Derek Jeter City.”
2) As the first commenter in the story points out, “What happens when he retires, then decides to un-retire and play for boston?” Well at that point, Minka Kelly would dump him wouldn’t she? After all, it’s not like Boston will rename it the “Derek Jeter Freedom Trail.”
Follow me on Twitter at @bharks. For more baseball news, go to NBCSports.com.
Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is slated to remain with the club through the end of the 2018 season, general manager Ross Atkins told reporters on Friday. The news follows a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who cast some doubt on the veteran skipper’s future with the team several weeks ago when he said the Jays “seem destined to move on from John Gibbons.”
While it appears Gibbons’ job is safe for the next six weeks, that’s not saying much — especially as the club currently sits 30.5 games back of the division lead and will prepare to continue restructuring a sub-.500 roster come fall. As recently as last week, he hinted that he wasn’t feeling particularly eager to oversee a full rebuild. Per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun:
Truthfully, a full breakdown, you know I have to admit I don’t know if I’m interested in that,” Gibbons said prior to Friday’s 7-0 blowout loss to the Tampa Rays. “But we’ll see. I’m still here. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.
Over 11 cumulative seasons from 2004-2008 and 2013-2018, the 56-year-old manager has guided the team to a winning record just five times, most recently when they earned back-to-back playoff appearances in 2015 and 2016. He still has another year remaining on his contract, which was recently lengthened to include the 2018 and 2019 seasons and includes an option for 2020 as well.
Atkins also revealed that the club is prepared to reevaluate Gibbons’ role during the offseason, though it’s not yet clear whether they intend to keep him on for the next two years as originally planned, reassign him to another role within the organization, or terminate his agreement with the team altogether.