Citi Field might be a bigger mess than the Mets

Leave a comment

James Fanelli of the New York Post writes that “the Mets’ new $850 million stadium is breaking down at about the same rate as its beleaguered lineup.” An excerpt:

Citi Field has been plagued by water damage to several luxury suites–including Jerry Seinfeld’s–as well as mold, falling signs and concrete, flooding in outfield seats, faulty electrical wiring and shoddy tile work, sources said.



Perhaps the biggest bungle is a water leak that sprang in early August, the source said, creating mold in Seinfeld’s lavish suite and three others nearby. The posh boxes rent for $250,000 to $500,000 a year. The problem was so bad that repairmen were forced to tear down walls in the suites on Aug. 9 to search for the source of the leak while the Mets were on a seven-game road trip, a source said.

Some of the other highlights include a non-working elevator, pieces of concrete breaking off, pipes collapsing, signs falling, broken air-conditioning and heating, faulty electrical outlets, and … well, just read the whole article.
Naturally, when asked about the various issues Mets executive vice president of business operations Dave Howard replied: “Any suggestion that Citi Field is less than an elite, world-class entertainment facility is flat-out inaccurate and unfounded.”
Obviously.

Cardinals shut down Carlos Martínez for two weeks due to shoulder issue

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLB.com’s Jenifer Langosh reports that the Cardinals are shutting down pitcher Carlos Martínez from throwing for two weeks because his shoulder strength isn’t where it should have been at this point. Langosch added that an MRI showed no structural damage in Martínez’s right shoulder.

Interestingly, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak didn’t sound too happy with Martínez offseason training regimen. Per Mark Saxon of The Athletic, Mozeliak said, “Obviously, there’s a history with Carlos’ shoulder and it would be probably in everybody’s best interest if he maintained a constant or perpetual approach to that program.”

Martínez, 27, battled oblique and shoulder injuries last year. He accrued just 118 2/3 innings, making just 18 starts. He was moved to the bullpen when he returned from the disabled list in August and finished out the season in that role. Still, Martínez managed a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts and 60 walks.

Langosch reported last week that the Cardinals were considering using Martínez in relief again in 2019. The latest news may push the Cardinals to indeed use Martínez out of the bullpen once again. He will be reevaluated in early March, but there is a chance he won’t be ready for Opening Day.