Uh-oh: What's up with Zimmermann?

Leave a comment

Potentially bad news coming out of Washington.

Rookie Jordan Zimmermann has been on the disabled list due to soreness in
his pitching elbow since July 19, which was concerning enough, but on
Saturday afternoon the Nationals announced that they were sending the
results of a second MRI to Dr. James Andrews.

Naturally, anytime you
hear elbow and Dr. James Andrews in the same sentence, it’s not a good
thing:


“There was some concerning facts on the MRI that was read by our team
Dr. Wiemi Douoguih,” interim GM Mike Rizzo said. “We’ve sent the films
over to Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, who is going to read them
Monday and we’ll have a more definitive answer on Monday where Jordan
is with his elbow.”

Rizzo couldn’t elaborate about what Dr. Douoguih saw, but it’s
clearly of great concern for the organization. Rizzo said his concern
about Zimmermann is “ramped up.”

The 3-5 record and 4.63 ERA might not show it, but the 23-year-old
right-hander has managed a pretty nice rookie season,
compiling 9.1 K/9 and a 92/29 K/BB ratio in 91 1/3 innings. What I find
most encouraging about his long-term potential is the fact that he
pitched that well with the league’s worst defense behind him, suffering through an unlucky 67.5% strand rate and .339 BABIP. If we
were to take defense out of the equation, he actually pitched to a 3.57 FIP. Hopefully he can still realize that potential. 

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.