* Pedro Martinez’s first minor-league rehab start was cut short because of rain
yesterday at Single-A, so he ended up throwing only 24 pitches before
heading to the bullpen for another 60 throws. Zach Schonbrun of MLB.com
reports that Martinez “will likely throw two more starts in the minor
leagues before being ready to join” the Phillies.
* Junichi Tazawa, the 23-year-old right-hander who skipped the
professional ranks in Japan to sign with the Red Sox this offseason,
has been promoted to Triple-A after going 9-5 with a 2.57 ERA and 88/26 K/BB ratio in 98 innings at Double-A.
* Andrew Miller’s demotion to the minors got off to a rough start over the weekend, as he walked nine batters while failing to make it out of the fifth inning in his first outing at Triple-A.
* There was speculation that a trade could be brewing when Reid Brignac
was pulled from a Triple-A game over the weekend, but the Rays announced that he merely “tweaked his leg a bit.”
* Thomas Harding of MLB.com shares the story of Jhoulys Chacin learning that he was headed to the big leagues.
* Cross the Giants off the list of teams in the mix for Roy Halladay.