Getty Images

Asdrubal Cabrera requests trade from Mets

10 Comments

It’s shortstop or bust for Asdrubal Cabrera, who told reporters Friday that he will request a trade from the Mets after getting bumped to second base (via Newsday’s Marc Carig). Cabrera served as the club’s starting shortstop through the first few months of the 2017 season, but lost the role to Jose Reyes while serving a stint on the 10-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb. The switch was confirmed prior to the Mets’ series opener against the Giants on Friday, prompting Cabrera to announce his trade request before taking the field.

Per MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo:

Personally, I’m not really happy with that move,” Cabrera said. “If they have that plan, they should have told me before I came over here. I just told my agent about it. If they have that plan for me, I think it’s time to make a move. What I saw the last couple of weeks, I don’t think they have any plans for me. I told my agent, so we’re going to see what happens in the next couple weeks.

Mets’ GM Sandy Alderson appeared skeptical of Cabrera’s request, telling reporters that he wasn’t sure a trade was “something [Cabrera] really wishes” and saying the team would wait and see how the situation shakes out. That doesn’t mean the veteran infielder will see a return to short anytime soon, however, only that he might have a change of heart after settling into his new role.

This isn’t the first time Cabrera has balked at a position change. The Mets reportedly considered shifting him to third base earlier this season, but ultimately decided to keep him at short and denied his request to pick up his $8.5 million option for 2018, something Alderson said has little to no precedent. Further changes may be on the horizon when 21-year-old infield prospect Amed Rosario gets called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and second baseman Neil Walker returns from the disabled list, though the team has yet to address either situation.

Mets ‘open for business,’ will listen to offers on number of veterans

Getty Images
9 Comments

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the New York Mets are “open for business,” and that they’re willing to listen to offers for Curtis Granderson, Addison Reed, Jay Bruce and Asdrubal Cabrera.

New York is suffering through a nightmare season of injuries and underperformance. They’ve lost ace Noah Syngergaard for months, closer Jeurys Famila for the entire season most likely and will be without Matt Harvey and Neil Walker for an extended period. They currently sit in fourth place with a 31-41 record in what is perhaps the weakest division in baseball.

Bruce and Reed are impending free agents, so it makes sense that they’d look to deal them. Cabrera is signed through 2018, but the Mets could use a lost second half of 2017 to test out prospect Amed Rosario. Granderson turns 37 in September and has been relegated primarily to bench duty behind Yoenis Cespedes, Michael Conforto and Bruce.

It would make sense for the Mets to sell, that’s for sure.

Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base upon return from DL

Mike Zarrilli/Getty Images
6 Comments

Newsday’s Marc Carig reports that the Mets may move Asdrubal Cabrera to second base when he returns from the disabled list. Cabrera has been on the disabled list since June 13 with a sprained left thumb, but he’s expected to be activated on Friday.

Cabrera, 31, last played second base in 2014 with the Nationals. He has played shortstop exclusively as a Met the last two seasons. Jose Reyes would continue to play shortstop if the Mets were to go through with the position change. Cabrera would displace T.J. Rivera, who has been playing second base in place of the injured Neil Walker.

In 196 plate appearances this season, Cabrera is hitting .244/.321/.392 with six home runs and 20 RBI. He has made 11 defensive errors, which is tied for the third-most among shortstops behind Tim Anderson (16) and Dansby Swanson (12).