Yesterday the Mets informed Pedro Feliciano that he wouldn’t be making the Opening Day roster and the left-hander talked about potentially opting out of his minor-league contract, but today he decided to accept an assignment to Triple-A.
That seems like a smart move by Feliciano considering he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 due to arm injuries and was never going to get an immediate big-league opportunity elsewhere. And if he was going to pitch at Triple-A no matter what he might as well stick with the Mets, who’re hardly overflowing with left-handed bullpen depth.
Feliciano will need to stay healthy and increase his velocity before a return to the majors is even a possibility.
Pedro Feliciano failed to win a spot in the Mets’ bullpen and may decided to opt out of his minor-league contract rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A, according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York.
“They told me I’m going to Triple-A for a month and get my strength back,” Feliciano told Rubin. “I have to talk to my agent first and then see what we’re going to decide.”
It’s tough to imagine another team giving Feliciano an immediate big-league opportunity considering he hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2010 due to arm injuries and if he does accept the assignment to Triple-A he’d get a $100,000 bonus as part of his contract.
Shaun Marcum was removed from the Mets’ Grapefruit League rotation last week due to mild shoulder fatigue. But he is already back in.
Jorge Castillo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Marcum will pitch Tuesday afternoon in a B-game against the Marlins. LaTroy Hawkins and Pedro Feliciano are also scheduled for innings.
Marcum was shelled for three earned runs in two innings on February 23 in his spring debut against the Nationals. He will hope for far better results when he returns to the mound this week and will probably try to go three frames if his shoulder is cooperating.
The 31-year-old right-hander signed a one-year, $4 million free agent contract with New York this winter. He posted a 3.70 ERA in 124 innings with the Brewers last season while battling multiple arm injuries.
Pedro Feliciano recently returned to New York for additional testing after his initial physical was flagged, but it had nothing to do with his recent shoulder woes.
According to Marc Carig of New York Newsday, Feliciano will be shut down indefinitely after doctors found an irregular heartbeat. The 36-year-old left-hander told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York that he has a small “hole” in the exterior of his heart, but the issue isn’t considered life-threatening and surgery hasn’t been discussed as an option. Still, he will be fitted for a heart monitor for the time being.
After failing to make an appearance during his two-year, $8 million deal with the Yankees, Feliciano returned to the Mets this winter on a minor league deal. He was hoping to compete for a bullpen spot this spring.
The Mets have announced that they have signed lefty reliever Pedro Feliciano to a minor league deal.
I’m assuming this is the completion of the Mets’ epic troll of the Yankees. Feliciano pitched in 86, 88 and 92 games for the Mets between 2008 and 2010, signed with the Yankees for $8 million and then missed the entirety of the 2011 and 2012 seasons with injuries.
I’m assuming he now goes in about 75-80 games for the Mets in 2013 with an ERA of about 3.10.