Adam Rubin of ESPN New York has the news …
For the first time since April 14, New York Mets captain David Wright will play in a major league game on Monday.
Mets manager Terry Collins confirmed Sunday that Wright will be activated from the disabled list and be placed in the starting lineup for the series opener against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park.
Wright landed on the disabled list in mid-April because of a hamstring injury and was diagnosed during his rehab with spinal stenosis. Collins has said that the 32-year-old third baseman won’t be an everyday player out of the gate, but that could change if Wright hits well from the jump and is feeling healthy.
He was 9-for-28 (.321) with five walks on his eight-game minor league rehab assignment.
Wright rejoins a Mets team that leads the NL East race by five games.
Things haven’t gone according to plan for the Athletics and closer Sean Doolittle this season, but here’s some good news to pass along.
Doolittle has been limited to just one appearance this season due to a partially torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder. He missed the first six weeks of the season before making his return on May 27, but he went right back on the disabled list a few days later.
While there was some question about whether Doolittle would pitch again this season, he has made solid progress of late and there were positive reports during his minor league rehab assignment. He allowed one run in four inning and struck out the side in each of his last two appearances. Jane Lee of MLB.com notes that he was sitting in the 90-92 mph range while topping out at 93 mph.
Tyler Clippard functioned as the closer while Doolittle was sidelined, but he was traded to the Mets last month. It has been a bumpy ride in the A’s bullpen since, so Doolittle could get a chance to reclaim his old job. At the very least, he could go into the offseason with some peace of mind about his health.
Doolittle, 28, owns a 2.95 ERA with 10.6 K/9 and 1.6 BB/9 over 176 appearances in the majors. He saved 22 games for Oakland last season.
UPDATE: Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that Duda has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
10:08 a.m. ET: The Mets offense exploded for 14 runs on 16 hits last night against the Rockies, most of it coming from Yoenis Cespedes, but an important part of their lineup could be headed for the disabled list.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Lucas Duda was forced to exit last night’s game in the seventh inning with renewed lower back pain. He missed six starts with the injury earlier this month, but managed to avoid a stint on the disabled list. Mets manager Terry Collins said after the game that they’ll make a decision on his status on Saturday.
The Mets were planning to send down Michael Conforto on Saturday to make room for reliever Dario Alvarez, but the rookie outfielder could stick around if Duda needs to go on the disabled list. Daniel Murphy and Michael Cuddyer figure to see time at first base in his absence.
Duda, 29, is batting .247 with 21 home runs and an .818 OPS over 113 games this season.
Yoenis Cespedes turned the Mets’ second inning against the Rockies on Friday night from good to great, bumping the lead up to 7-1 when he drilled a Jon Gray offering just over the fence in right field at Coors Field for a grand slam. The ball bounced off of the top of the wall and landed in the crowd closer to the right field foul ball before returning to the right field grass.
Cespedes would add a solo home run to center field in the fourth inning, and a two-run shot in the sixth, leaving him a three-run homer away from the home run cycle. He also doubled and scored in the first inning. He attempted to record a four-homer game, but singled to right field in the eighth inning, completing a 5-for-6 night. He scored five runs, drove in seven runs, and stole a base.
Cespedes is batting .316 with five home runs and 15 RBI since joining the Mets at the trade deadline. Combined with his time with the Tigers, he’s batting .297 with 23 home runs and 76 RBI.
In an effort to limit his innings, the Mets will skip Matt Harvey’s start on Sunday, Mike Puma of the New York Post reports. Logan Verrett will start against the Rockies at Coors Field instead. The Mets will also soon skip Noah Syndergaard’s start as well, ESPN’s Adam Rubin reports.
Harvey, in his first season since undergoing Tommy John surgery, has accrued 154 innings, posting a 2.57 ERA with a 141/32 K/BB ratio. The 26-year-old has been nearly unbeatable this summer, owning a 1.45 ERA in his last 11 starts dating back to June 16.
Syndergaard, 22, has a 3.17 ERA with a 117/26 K/BB ratio in 110 2/3 innings. He threw 29 2/3 innings with Triple-A Las Vegas as well, prior to his promotion to the majors in May.