Mets starter Bartolo Colon ended the sixth inning of Saturday night’s start against the Marlins with a nifty behind-the-back flip to first base, preserving his consecutive scoreless innings streak. He went on to toss a shutout on 100 pitches.
Colon last allowed a run in the fourth inning of his August 21 start at Coors Field against the Rockies in which he lasted only 3 2/3 innings. Since then, he held the Phillies scoreless over seven innings in Philadelphia, pitched a scoreless inning of relief, shut out the Phillies again with eight innings at home, and blanked the Marlins over nine frames on Saturday. For those counting at home, that runs his consecutive scoreless innings streak up to 25 innings.
Colon, on the season, has a 4.18 ERA with a 127/21 K/BB ratio over 169 innings.
Mets right-hander Matt Harvey spoke with reporters Saturday afternoon to address the brewing controversy over his innings limit. If there was any doubt about whether he’s on the same page with his agent, Scott Boras, we can officially put that to rest.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Harvey said he has always considered 180 innings as his limit for the season. He also refused to answer any questions about his availability for the playoffs and said that he’s merely focused on his next scheduled start Tuesday against the Nationals.
Here are some quotes via Matt Ehalt of the Bergen Record:
Harvey, who is in his first season back from Tommy John surgery, is currently at 166 1/3 innings for the year. Boras has said that Dr. James Andrews, Harvey’s surgeon, recommended that his client be shut down at 180 innings while Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has said that no hard cap was provided. Either there was a huge miscommunication here or somebody isn’t telling the truth about the timeline of events. Remember, Harvey was vocal about his dislike for a six-man rotation, which one would think he should have been on board with if managing his innings and pitching deeper into the season was the goal.
The Mets still plan to have Harvey finish out the regular season and be available for a potential postseason run, but it appears that they’ll be doing so against the player’s wishes. Oh boy. While you can’t blame a player for looking out for his long-term health and earning potential, these comments aren’t going to go over well in New York.
Lucas Duda wasn’t able to return from to return from the disabled list when he was first eligible as the Mets originally hoped, but Matt Ehalt of the Bergen Record reports that he’s set to begin a minor league rehab assignment Saturday with Double-A Binghamton.
Duda has been sidelined since August 21 with a thoracic herniation in his back. Mets assistant general manager John Ricco said Friday that it’s unlikely he’ll be ready when the team begins their big showdown against the Nationals on Monday, but he could be activated at some point later on in the series. Michael Cuddyer is also sidelined right now due to wrist tendinitis, so the Mets are relying on Kelly Johnson at first base.
Duda, 29, is batting .247/.346/.472 with 21 home runs and 56 RBI over 113 games this season.
It was an odd sight when Ruben Tejada hit an inside-the-park home run on Wednesday, aided by Domonic Brown going over a wall and into the stands down the right field line. But it was no laughing matter:
Brown is hitting .228/.284/.349 with five homers over 63 games with the Phillies this year. If he does have a concussion, he could be done for the year.