Blue Jays manager John Gibbons told John Lott of Canada’s National Post on Sunday that infielder Maicer Izturis will open the 2015 regular season on the 15-day disabled list because of a groin strain.
Izturis suffered the injury in Friday’s Grapefruit League game against the Rays. He had been the favorite for the Blue Jays’ Opening Day second base gig, which will now go to either Ryan Goins, Steve Tolleson, or newcomer Devon Travis.
Travis, acquired from the Tigers in November for outfielder Anthony Gose, batted .298/.358/.460 with 10 home runs and 16 stolen bases in 100 games last season at Double-A Erie. The 24-year-old was rated Detroit’s top prospect by Baseball America just a few days before the team shipped him to Toronto.
There was a Blue Jays “State of the Franchise” event last night and John Gibbons was asked about who was going to play second base for Toronto. While he noted that there are four candidates, one of whom is Maicer Izturis, he said:
“Izturis is in the best shape of his life.”
So I guess that’s settled.
(Thanks to Rik for the heads up)
The Blue Jays were dealt a tough blow to their infield today, as John Lott of the National Post reports that Maicer Izturis was diagnosed with a complete tear of the LCL (lateral collateral ligament) in his left knee. Surgery is expected and includes a recovery time of 4-6 months, potentially ending his season.
It was a freak injury for Izturis, as he tripped on a step in the dugout while walking to the bat rack during yesterday’s win over the Orioles at Camden Yards in Baltimore. According to Jeff Seidel of MLB.com, he felt two pops in his knee.
Izturis was off to a solid start this season, hitting .286 (10-for-35) with one double, one RBI, and one stolen base over 11 games. Ryan Goins, who is hitting .107 (3-for-28) this season, figures to get most of the playing time at second base for now.
The Blue Jays made a handful of roster moves on Sunday afternoon, including activating left-hander J.A. Happ from the disabled list, Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports. Happ has been dealing with a sore back, but now that he is healthy enough to return, he’ll join the 25-man roster and work out of the bullpen.
Davidi also reports that the Jays have placed infielder Maicer Izturis on the 15-day disabled list, optioned catcher Erik Kratz to Triple-A, and called up infielder Munenori Kawasaki. Outfielder Colby Rasmus left Sunday’s game after the top of the sixth inning with a tight hamstring, but Davidi says it’s not considered to be serious. Exciting times in Toronto.
Jose Reyes left Saturday’s Grapefruit League game with left hamstring discomfort and Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that an MRI today revealed that he’s dealing with a mild strain.
The Blue Jays are calling Reyes day-to-day for now, but given his long history of his hamstring issues, it wouldn’t be surprising if they decide to play things safe and have him begin the season on the disabled list. They’ll likely hold off making an official decision until later in the week.
Assuming Reyes begins the year on the disabled list, the Blue Jays will likely go with Ryan Goins at shortstop and Maicer Izturis at second base.