After missing more than a week, Hanley Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Red Sox today due to what was termed as right shoulder inflammation.
The move comes as a bit of a surprise, as rosters have expanded and there’s no obvious need to put him on the disabled list. At the very least, this rules him out from playing again until next Friday. According to Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com, acting Red Sox manager Torey Lovullo said yesterday that there’s no timetable for Ramirez’s return. If he does play again this season, it will be at first base, which is expected to be his position next season.
In the first year of a four-year, $88 million contract, Ramirez is batting .249/.291/.426 with 19 home runs and 53 RBI over 105 games. He has zero homers and a .450 OPS since the All-Star break.
Hanley Ramirez began fielding grounders at first base last week and acknowledged to reporters that he is being asked to move there for the 2016 season, adding that he’s “looking forward to” the change after a dreadful summer in left field.
Hanley was expected to get a couple starts at first base down the stretch in September and then focus entirely on the new position leading into 2016. But that experiment has been expedited with Hanley currently battling a left shoulder injury and Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo, and Jackie Bradley Jr. playing so well together in the Boston outfield.
Via beat writer Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com …
Asked if he expected to see Ramirez play the outfield again in 2015, Lovullo answered: “I do not.”
Questioned about the change, Lovullo said there were a number of factors that went into the decision.
“I think we’ve just walked through a couple of scenarios,” said Lovullo, “and I think that with how the young kids have been doing in the outfield, we want to give them the time there that they deserve. And I think the timing of Hanley’s injury is pushing him back a little bit. It’s just condensing that ability to go and play left field until he transitions to first base.
The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.
Ramirez, 31, is owed $22.75 million per year through 2018. He also carries a vesting option for 2019.
Hanley Ramirez was on the bench for the Red Sox’s three-game series against the Mets over the weekend and he remains out of the starting lineup for tonight’s game against the Yankees because of a left shoulder injury.
Ramirez has avoided the disabled list this season, but he’s been a mess with multiple nagging injuries and terrible production since a strong April. In the first season of a four-year, $88 million contract he’s hit just .249 with 19 homers and a .717 OPS in 105 games overall, including a .644 OPS since May 1.
After taking over Boston’s front office Dave Dombrowski wasted little time saying Ramirez would be moving to first base in 2016, although surely the Red Sox would be very open to trading him before that happens.