Giancarlo Stanton had been aiming to return to the Marlins’ active roster this Friday night for the start of a three-game series against the National League East-leading Mets, but he told reporters that he didn’t feel 100 percent after his minor league rehab debut on Tuesday afternoon with High-A Jupiter.
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro says it’s now doubtful the slugger will be able to follow through on his plan.
Stanton has been on the disabled list since June 27 because of a broken hamate bone in his right hand. He had surgery on June 28. There’s really no reason for the 53-79 Marlins to rush him back before he feels like he’s at full strength.