Devin Mesoraco’s bizarre season is finally over, as C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that he will undergo hip surgery on June 29 in New York.
Mesoraco has been dealing with a left hip impingement since early April, but the Reds kept him on the active roster as a bench player through late May even though he wasn’t able to catch. You might recall that early questions about his availability caused Reds manager Bryan Price to go on a profanity-laden rant against the media. Mesoraco recently tried to come back as an outfielder, but felt lingering soreness during a minor league rehab assignment and finally decided to shut things down.
Surgery was going to happen at some point anyway, so with the Reds not looking like a contender, it just makes sense to turn the focus toward getting him ready for 2016. Getting it done now gives him a head start to make that happen.
Devin Mesoraco is still unable to maintain a squatting position because of a lingering left hip impingement, but he and the Reds have a devised a plan that will allow him to return to action this season. And perhaps as early as next week.
Mesoraco, who hasn’t made a start at catcher since April 11 and has been on the disabled list since May 25, is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment Monday as the starting left fielder at Triple-A Louisville. He has not played any outfield in the minors or majors, but the Reds are willing to experiment because they want his bat back in the lineup. Hip surgeon Bryan Kelly has signed off on the idea.
MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon says Mesoraco will need at least 3-4 games at Louisville to learn left field and get his timing right. He’s been doing outfield drills for over a week now, so that should help.
The 26-year-old had an .893 OPS, 25 homers, and 80 RBI in 114 games last season.
Devin Mesoraco hasn’t been able to catch since April 12 due to a left hip impingement and will eventually require surgery, but he hasn’t given up on a return this season.
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer was told by Reds manager Bryan Price today that Mesoraco is now exploring the possibility of returning as a left fielder. He still needs surgery, but the team is confident he can it after the season and still be ready for the start of 2016. They don’t want to carry him strictly as a pinch-hitter, which is what they did for seven weeks prior to placing him on the disabled list late last month:
“He’s on board. He’s a huge part of it and I do believe that he’s seen a guy in New York as well that did a followup on his MRI results and test results,” Price said of Mesoraco. “So we’re trying to make sure all the bases are covered that if we’re going to do something like this, that we’re doing it with enough time to make sure he’s ready to go on Opening Day 2016 behind the plate.”
Mesoraco still has to get back to hitting before getting some work in the outfield. He’ll then need to get some minor league rehab games under his belt, so a return isn’t necessarily imminent. Still, it’s worth a shot to get his bat in the lineup, especially since Marlon Byrd is now sidelined with a fractured wrist.
Devin Mesoraco has been on the Reds’ active roster, attempting to play through a hip injury, for nearly the entire season. It hasn’t gone well, as he’s followed up an All-Star season by hitting just .178 and has been limited mostly to pinch-hitting duties because squatting behind the plate is a problem.
Today–nearly six weeks since his last start at catcher–the Reds finally placed him on the disabled list with a left hip impingement and season-ending surgery looms as a possibility for Mesoraco.
Brayan Pena has been filling in as the Reds’ starting catcher and he’ll never match the production Mesoraco provided last season while hitting 25 homers with an .893 OPS, but he’s done a solid job while batting .307 with zero homers and a .749 OPS in 31 games.
Mesoraco and the Reds agreed to a $28 million contract extension in January and manager Bryan Price spent all spring talking about how he wanted the 27-year-old catcher to start 140-plus games this season. Instead it’s looking like a totally lost year and his future is now in question as well.
Here’s something you don’t see very often. Reds manager Bryan Price was ejected before today’s game against the Indians even started. Really.
Price was exchanging lineup cards before he got into it with second base umpire Jim Reynolds, who ejected him. Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer speculates that it was carryover from a gripe he had last night when the Reds lost 7-3 in the series opener. Or perhaps Reynolds asked about the availability of Devin Mesoraco. One or the other.
You can watch the video here:
The Reds have lost six games in a row and sit at 18-23 on the year.