UPDATE: Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that Wright has been diagnosed with stenosis, which is a narrowing of the spinal column. That doesn’t sound good. In fact, the condition has forced some athletes into early retirement. The Mets believe that the injury will heal, but there’s no timetable. They probably can’t count on him anytime soon.
2:50 p.m. ET: Rough news for the Mets here, as Marc Carig of New York Newsday reports that David Wright has been shut down for another week due to continued back issues.
Wright originally landed on the disabled list in mid-April with a strained right hamstring, but he began having lower back pain while rehabbing the injury earlier this month. As of yesterday, the Mets were hoping that he would be rehab for minor league rehab games next week, but that plan will go on the backburner until he begins to show improvement.
Eric Campbell is currently filling in for Wright at third base, but he’s batting just .197/.323/.303 over 24 games. The Mets have been struggling to score runs for quite a while now and one wonders how much longer they can stand pat without making some sort of move to improve their offense.
Mets third baseman David Wright landed on the 15-day disabled list in mid-April after suffering a right hamstring strain on a stolen base attempt and then he suffered a minor back injury while rehabbing that hamstring strain. But the 32-year-old is now finally trending in a positive direction …
Mets manager Terry Collins told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York on Sunday morning that Wright feels well enough to resume baseball activities at the club’s spring training complex in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It’ll start with a light workout Monday and go from there.
Wright hasn’t done any baseball activity for at least 10 days and he’ll eventually have to head out on a minor league rehab assignment to get his timing right at the plate, so it’s going to be a while before he makes it all the way back to the majors. Eric Campbell and Daniel Murphy have been filling in at the hot corner.
Wright was batting .333/.371/.424 with a homer and four RBI in eight games before these injuries.
Third baseman David Wright has been on the disabled list since mid-April with a strained hamstring and recent reports had his recovery going slower than expected. And now we know why, as the Mets announced that Wright suffered a back injury earlier this week.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Wright has had lower back pain for several days, but an MRI exam revealed no structural damage. However, his rehab has been put on hold and there’s no timetable for it resuming.
It’s possible that the back injury proves minor and Wright’s hamstring was apparently just about fully healed, but for now the news is not good in the wake of his significant shoulder problems last season. Daniel Murphy will continue to fill in at third base, with Dilson Herrera replacing him at second base.
Wright missed 50 games in 2013 and 28 games in 2014, although his production suffered greatly last season when he played through the shoulder injury and he finished with a career-low .698 OPS. He was off to a good start this year before being shut down, going 11-for-33 (.333) with one homer and a .796 OPS through eight games.
Wright, a 32-year-old seven-time All-Star, is making $20 million this season and owed another $87 million through 2020.
Several reports last week hinted at David Wright taking longer than expected to return from a hamstring injury and now Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told the New York Post that “it’s just hard to say” when the third baseman will come off the disabled list because he’s not 100 percent healthy yet.
Wright is already eligible to return from the DL, but he’s not running at full speed yet and according to Alderson “until he gets into a game situation and feels confident with the leg, we’re not going to know.”
Eric Campbell initially filled in for Wright at third base, but of late the Mets have shifted Daniel Murphy to third base while using Dilson Herrera at second base. After a 13-3 start to the season they’ve gone 3-7.
After losing their third straight game and the fifth out of their last seven, the Mets announced late tonight that they have recalled prospect second baseman Dilson Herrera from Triple-A Las Vegas.
The Mets aren’t calling Herrera up to be a bench player, so the expectation is that he’ll play second base while Daniel Murphy will move over to third and play over Eric Campbell. This might only be temporary, as David Wright is working his way back from a hamstring strain and could be ready to return as soon as next weekend.
Herrera was off to a strong start in Triple-A this season, batting .375/.407/.513 over his first 19 games coming into Thursday’s action. The 21-year-old hit .220 (13-for-59) with three home runs and 11 RBI in 18 games during his first stint in the majors late last season.