Phillies second baseman Cesar Hernandez dislocated his left thumb in a collision with Cubs first baseman Anthony Rizzo in the seventh inning of Sunday’s win. He was replaced by Andres Blanco. Hernandez is likely done for the season, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury reports.
Hernandez had charged in on a Rizzo ground out but lost control of the ball on the transfer. The ball skipped towards the first base bag and Hernandez was unable to corral it. His momentum took him into Rizzo, causing him to dislocate his left thumb. Pete Mackanin said that Darnell Sweeney, acquired from the Dodgers in the Chase Utley trade, will get a look at second base.
Hernandez, 25, finished 1-for-4 on the afternoon. He’s hitting .272/.339/.348 with one home run, 35 RBI, 57 runs scored, and 19 stolen bases in 448 plate appearances. He filled in admirably for Utley while he was on the disabled list earlier in the season, then took over the position for good when the Phillies sent Utley to Los Angeles.
Red Sox shortstop Xander Bogaerts helped his team take a commanding 7-0 lead in the fourth inning against the Phillies on Saturday, clearing the bases and coming around to score on what should have been only a double, but turned out to be a Little League grand slam.
Bogaerts slashed an Alec Asher offering down the right field line. Right fielder Aaron Altherr corralled the ball and hit cutoff man Cesar Hernandez. Hernandez fired a weak throw to catcher Carlos Ruiz, bouncing off of him and into foul territory. Betts, at third base, used the opportunity to scamper home. Bogaerts was credited with a double and three RBI, advancing to third base on the relay throw home and scoring on Hernandez’s throwing error.
David Ortiz followed up with a solo home run, his 30th of the season and the 496th of his career.
Maikel Franco has been the biggest bright spot in another rough season for the Phillies, but now the rookie third baseman is headed to the disabled list with what the team is calling a “small, non-displaced fracture” of his left wrist.
Franco remained on the active roster for an entire week while hoping to play through what was initially called a bruise, but further examination revealed a much more serious problem and he was placed on the DL.
Philadelphia has turned to Cesar Hernandez and Andres Blanco as the fill-ins at third base and Franco’s fantastic rookie season is on hold after he hit .277 with 13 homers, 22 doubles, and an .830 OPS in 77 games as a 22-year-old.
On a related note: Chase Utley is in the lineup at second base after general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said this morning that he’s unlikely to be traded.
The Cubs have internally discussed going after Phillies second baseman Chase Utley leading up to the August 31 waiver deadline, Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.
Utley, battling a right ankle injury, began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Sunday. He’s been on the disabled list since June 23 after posting a disappointing .179/.257/.275 triple-slash line with four home runs and 25 RBI.
Utley has lost the starting second base job to Cesar Hernandez, GM Ruben Amaro announced on July 7. The veteran is owed the remainder of his $15 million salary and will become a free agent after the season, as his option for the 2016 season will not vest.
The Angels have also reportedly shown interest in Utley.