Bobby Jenks helped etch his name in history as part of the 2005 world champion White Sox roster. It seemed like the sky was the limit for the right-hander, who struck out 50 and unintentionally walked 12 in 39 1/3 innings in 2005, his rookie campaign. By 2009 and 2010, his effectiveness had been lost and the White Sox didn’t make an effort to keep him around, instead allowing him to walk into free agency. The Red Sox snapped him up for the 2011 season. Jenks suffered a pulmonary embolism, serious in and of itself, but it also delayed surgery on his back.
Jenks opened up to CSN Chicago about what happened back then, including a brush with death and an addiction to painkillers. The whole thing is worth your time, but here is a selection:
“I ended up opening myself up in two different spots in my spine and I was leaking spinal fluid very heavily about a week after my surgery. I didn’t realize it at the time until I went to go sit down on the couch, it literally felt that one of my kids was behind me and had dumped a glass of water down my back.”
What the former White Sox star didn’t know was just how bad the problem really was.
“My back was literally like a faucet left on and fluid was just coming out. I went to see a few doctor friends in Arizona and they immediately told me, ‘go to the emergency room right now’ and I went in for emergency that night (with Dr. Chris Young). Without that I could’ve gone to bed that night and not woken up.”
Thankfully, Jenks is better now and he’s been sober for 18 months. In addition, Jenks says he would like to attempt to pitch his way back into the big leagues before he officially calls it quits.
Evan Drellich of MassLive.com reports that when the Red Sox and Bobby Jenks went their separate ways last July, the veteran reliever was in the middle of a 45-day stay at a luxury rehab clinic in Malibu, California.
Jenks was admitted to the clinic on June 7, nearly 10 weeks after he was arrested and charged with a DUI in Fort Myers, Florida. In the incident report, Jenks claimed that he “took too many muscle relaxers.”
The Red Sox reached a contract settlement with Jenks before releasing him on July 3. He then left the clinic two weeks later.
The DUI charge was settled in December after Jenks pleaded no contest to reckless driving and hitting a parked car. He was required to complete a rehab program as part of his probation.
Jenks signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Red Sox in December of 2010, but he ended up making only 19 appearances with the club. The 32-year-old didn’t pitch at all last season following multiple back surgeries and a pulmonary embolism in his lung. He is currently unsigned.
This is kinda thin even by hot stove standards, but there’s nothing else going on. Indeed, news is so slow that I spent a few minutes this morning creating an Aaron Gleeman “Gangnam Style” JibJab video. Wait, what?
Oh, the thing: Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald says that if, as is widely assumed, the San Francisco Giants decide to non-tender Brian Wilson tomorrow, that the Sox may have an interest.
Why they’d want him I have no idea, but I’m not sure you could convince the Sox fan base that such a signing wouldn’t be Bobby Jenks redux, even if it wasn’t for dumb money. Lauber notes that Wilson is from New Hampshire, but I can’t see how that matters. If anyone has gone west coast, it’s Wilson. And as we’ve often noted, those “he’s from around here” things never seem to work out.