Matthew Pouliot

Image of Dodger Stadium beating victim Stow is shown on scoreboard before MLB National League baseball game between San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals in San Francisco, California

San Francisco hospital wants Dodgers to cover Bryan Stow expenses

51 Comments

San Francisco General Hospital is asking the Dodgers for a $1.2 million reimbursement after treating Bryan Stow while he was in a coma last year.

Stow was beaten by two Dodgers fans in the Dodger Stadium parking lot following a game with the Giants last March. 20 months later, the Dodgers still haven’t taken responsibility and paid out a penny in the case. $6 billion television contracts have taken priority of late, apparently.

Stow’s family has sued the Dodgers in an effort to cover his medical expenses, which are being estimated at $50 million for the care he’s already received and for what he’ll need for the rest of his life. A bankruptcy court urged the Dodgers to settle that matter before Frank McCourt sold the team, but a deal failed to materialize. That suit is set to head to trial on Feb. 5.

Even their spring training home is down on the Red Sox

JetBlue Park
13 Comments

Fort Myers mayor Randy Henderson said this week that he wishes that Lee County had let the Red Sox walk rather than build the team’s new spring training home, which opened last year.

The new JetBlue Park was originally supposed to cost $77.9 million, but it sounds like the county ended up spending considerably more.

“It would have been smarter to let the Red Sox move on,” Henderson said. “I would debate that we wouldn’t be any worse off, in fact, I think we would be better off.”

As is, Lee County is set to spend $436 million on its three ballparks over the next 32 years. That includes the new park, an enhanced facility for the Twins to keep them on par with the Red Sox and what’s still owed on vacant City of Palms Park, the former home of the Red Sox.

The Fort Myers News-Press breaks it all down here. The article also mentions how Lee County is trying to lure the Nationals to the Red Sox’s old facility, though there’s little optimism about a deal being struck.

How about an Upton-Upton-Heyward outfield in Atlanta?

Justin Upton
22 Comments

We know the Braves are in hot pursuit of free agent B.J. Upton, who could well be the next top free agent to sign. It makes one wonder if they’d considering pairing the Upton brothers and bringing in Justin from Arizona.

On the surface, it seems like a great idea. Neither Upton brother has quite fulfilled his potential, but the two happen to be pretty competitive with one another; putting them in the same lineup would be quite the motivational tactic.

And the Braves have the artillery to get a deal done. The Rangers tried earlier this month to trade for Atlanta shortstop Andrelton Simmons, strictly for the purposes of using him in an Upton deal.  The slick-fielding Simmons, who should begin contending for Gold Gloves as soon as 2013, hit .289/.335/.416 in 166 at-bats as a 22-year-old rookie last season. The Diamondbacks might initially ask for a pitching prospect along with Simmons, but I think they’d make the trade straight up if it was offered.

That would leave the Braves with a lineup of:

3B Martin Prado
CF B.J. Upton
RF Jason Heyward
LF Justin Upton
1B Freddie Freeman
2B Dan Uggla
C Brian McCann/Gerald Laird
SS Paul Janish/Tyler Pastornicky

Not bad, right? It currently looks like McCann will miss the first month or two after shoulder surgery, but even minus his bat, that’s still a really nice lineup.

Of course, acquiring such an outfield would have huge payroll implications. B.J. Upton figures to command about $15 million per year as a free agent. Justin will make $9.75 million next year, $14.25 million in 2014 and $14.5 million in 2015 under the terms of his deal. Even if B.J.’s deal would be backloaded a bit, it’d probably mean taking on $22 million for 2013 and $28 million for 2014. Plus, the player getting subtracted, Simmons, will make the minimum for the next three years.

So, no, the whole scenario isn’t at all likely to materialize. However, the Braves do have the ability to make it happen if they want to. If money is tight, they could easily lop an additional $6.5 million off the payroll by trading Paul Maholm (they’d still have a rotation of Tim Hudson, Kris Medlen, Tommy Hanson, Mike Minor and Randall Delgado, with Brandon Beachy hopefully returning at midseason). If only Liberty Media weren’t so stingy with the payroll, these are the kinds of splashes the Braves could be making every offseason.

The Blue Jays signed Julio Izturis, not Cesar Izturis

blue jays logo
28 Comments

UPDATE: Turns out the Blue Jays didn’t sign Cesar Izturis after all. Mike Cormack of Sportsnet.ca reports that the Blue Jays actually signed Julio Izturis, who is Cesar’s 23-year-old brother. He played with the Giants’ low Class A affiliate this past season.

Wednesday, 7:13 PM: After stops in Los Angeles, Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Baltimore, Milwaukee and Washington, Cesar Izturis is returning to the organization that originally signed him as a 16-year-old in 1996. He inked a minor league deal with the Blue Jays on Wednesday.

Izturis will battle to make the team as a utility infielder. He hit .241/.254/.343 in 166 at-bats with the Brewers and Nationals last season (though just four of them were with Washington).

If Cesar can make the team, he’d play with his half-brother, Maicer, for the first time in the majors. Maicer Izturis was signed to a three-year deal earlier this month.

In Cesar Izturis, Felipe Lopez and Orlando Hudson, the Jays had three top middle infield prospects come up at roughly the same time 11 years ago. The team opted to trade Izturis to the Dodgers for top pitching prospect Luke Prokopec after the 2001 season and go forward with Lopez at short and Hudson at second. Alas, Prokopec got hurt and was a bust. Izturis never did develop into much of a hitter, but he would have given the Jays some stability at short had they kept him. Lopez lasted just one year as the starter before getting traded, and the position has been a revolving door ever since, though Jose Reyes finally figures to change that.

Bowden: Mike Napoli negotiating with Red Sox, meeting with Mariners

Mike Napoli
12 Comments

I don’t trust Jim Bowden for rumors, but it’s not as though anyone else is making baseball news on Thanksgiving:

Again, Bowden is prone to sounding way too confident about any nugget that comes his way. Still, this hardly sounds outlandish. Napoli is a good fit for the Red Sox, and most thought they’d be in on him. The Mariners are also in the market for bats, and if they added Napoli, it’d give them an interesting three-headed DH-catcher platoon between he, Jesus Montero and John Jaso.  They could even play all three at the same time if first baseman Justin Smoak falls on his face again.