Drew Silva

AP Photo/Julie Jacobson

Tigers acquire left-handed reliever Justin Wilson from Yankees

13 Comments

As first reported by Jennifer Hammond of FOX 2 News in Detroit, the Tigers have acquired left-handed reliever Justin Wilson from the Yankees for a pair of prospects.

Anthony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press says those prospects are minor league right-handers Luis Cessa and Chad Green.

Wilson posted a cool 3.10 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 74 appearances this past season for New York, striking out 66 batters in 61 innings. The hard-throwing 28-year-old southpaw is eligible for salary arbitration for the first time this winter and will be under the Tigers’ control through 2018.

Detroit is completely revamping its bullpen this winter, and rightfully so. The 2015 group posted a combined 4.38 ERA, which ranked 27th in the major leagues.

Francisco Rodriguez and Mark Lowe have also been brought aboard.

Braves reach one-year deal with Emilio Bonifacio

Emilio Bonifacio, Jose Abreu
AP Photo/Jeff Haynes
Leave a comment

From Jon Morosi of FOX Sports comes word that the Braves have signed speedy utilityman Emilio Bonifacio to a one-year contract.

Bonifacio posted a brutal .167/.198/.192 slash line in 82 plate appearances this past season for the White Sox and he was caught on four of his five stolen-base attempts, but the 30-year-old can play steady defense at just about any position on the baseball diamond.

He’ll probably fill a variety of roles in 2016 for the rebuilding Braves.

Blue Jays re-sign Darwin Barney to one-year deal

Darwin Barney
AP Photo/Matt York
Leave a comment

As first reported by Shi Davidi of Canada’s Sportsnet, the Blue Jays have agreed to terms on a one-year major league contract with infielder Darwin Barney. The deal is only pending a physical.

Barney is a .246/.294/.339 career hitter at the major league level, but he showed a little pop down the stretch late this summer in Toronto and he’s a strong defender all around the infield.

The 30-year-old will return to a utility-infield role with the Jays.

Johnny Cueto’s agent is trying to push his client to the Cardinals

Johnny Cueto
AP Photo/Charlie Riedel
18 Comments

You might remember a vicious brawl between the Cardinals and Reds from back in 2010 that involved Brandon Phillips, Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter, Scott Rolen, and many other big-name stars.

Johnny Cueto was also a major part of that scuffle and began kicking wildly at Cardinals players when he got pushed up against the screen that rises up from the backstop at Great American Ball Park.

One of those kicks actually ended the career of then Cardinals backup catcher Jason LaRue, who had a long history of concussions. Here’s the video if you need to be reminded …

Cueto still gets booed at Busch Stadium for his actions on that day, as does Phillips.

But with the Cardinals in the market for a front-line starting pitcher — having whiffed on David Price — could there suddenly be a fit for Cueto in St. Louis? Cueto’s agent Bryce Dixon is hoping to at least get the Cards involved in the bidding. Here’s what he told Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors on Wednesday afternoon …

“I can’t speak to how the Cardinals feel. ..Obviously [Johnny] regrets how the fight went down,” Dixon said.  “He’s expressed regret over it in the past.  He loves pitching in the NL Central.  He’s the best pitcher of our era in the NL Central.  It would be a good marriage [between] Johnny and the Cardinals.  I think once the fans got past the fight and they saw what a gamer Johnny is and what he could bring to the team, I think they would be able to embrace him now, though I don’t think that they’ll do that overnight.”

Cueto, 29, reportedly turned down a six-year, $126 million contract from the Diamondbacks earlier this month. Since then, his market has been pretty quiet.

Marlins president Michael Hill announces Jose Fernandez “is not going anywhere”

Jose Fernandez
AP Photo/Brett Davis
1 Comment

After fielding a wide range of trade offers, the Marlins have come to the conclusion that no major league team will be able to meet their sky-high demands for ace right-hander Jose Fernandez.

Marlins president of baseball operations Michael Hill announced Wednesday at the Winter Meetings in Nashville that Fernandez “is not going anywhere” and that all the calls, inquiries, and rumors “ran their course.”

It always seemed an unlikely thing.

Fernandez is only 23 years old, under contractual control for three more seasons, and he boasts a 2.40 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, and 336 strikeouts through his first 289 major league innings.

Miami wants to compete in 2016 under new manager Don Mattingly.