Drew Silva

Mike Matheny on Jason Heyward’s comments about Cubs’ younger core: “I don’t like it”

58 Comments

Jason Heyward told reporters at his introductory press conference last week in Chicago that he chose the Cubs over the Cardinals due in large part to the Cubs’ younger core of star players: “I felt like if I were to look up in three years [in St. Louis] and see it’s a completely different team, that would be kind of be different for me,” Heyward said. “Chicago really offers me an opportunity to come in, get introduced to the culture by a young group of guys.”

Those comments are generating some posturing from the Cardinals, who have won three straight National League Central titles and played in four out of the last five National League Championship Series — the one miss was this past year, when the Cubs advanced past their arch-rivals in the NLDS.

Here is Cardinals manager Mike Matheny, speaking Saturday to St. Louis Post-Dispatch veteran Rick Hummel

“I don’t think we have anything to apologize for in having a group like a Holliday, a Molina, a Wainwright,” said Matheny. “Those are the kinds of guys everybody wants on a club.

“I see where he’s coming from. I mean, look at what Chicago’s done. It’s very unique in this game — to have that many impact players at that young age. And he’s a young player. But I can’t say I’m in any kind of agreement with that (Chicago) core being better than any kind of core that we have.

“That veteran group (that the Cardinals have) also helps drive what the younger group turns into.”

All things you’d expect Matheny to say about his own club — a club that will not enter 2016 as favorites in the NL Central but should still be very competitive. He then dug a little deeper

“I don’t blame him. But I don’t like it,” continued Matheny. “I thought we created a really good atmosphere and he had to weigh what was most important to him. … We made a terrific offer. With all that being said, it comes down to what does a guy want? (Staying in St. Louis) just wasn’t what he was looking for.”

This seems like a good time to note that the Cubs’ eight-year, $184 million deal with Heyward carries two opt-outs, which could very well give it more overall earning potential than whatever the Cardinals or Nationals proposed. Heyward says he took less, but that’s not certain. Big-time free agents usually follow the money.

The Cubs first visit St. Louis for a three-game series at Busch Stadium April 18-20.

The rivalry is all the way back.

O’s owner Peter Angelos and Chris Davis’ agent Scott Boras “continue to have dialogue”

chris davis getty
Greg Fiume/Getty Images North America
30 Comments

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette told Rich Dubroff of CSNMidAtlantic.com last week that he had pulled the club’s nine-figure proposal to Chris Davis off the table. But that doesn’t mean there has been a complete breakdown in negotiations.

Jon Heyman has the update in his latest Inside Baseball column at CBSSports.com …

While it has been said that the Orioles have “pulled” the $154 million, seven-year offer to slugger Chris Davis, owner Peter Angelos and Davis’ agent Scott Boras continue to have dialogue by phone and continue to debate whether that is the appropriate offer; they spoke as recently as midweek.

Davis and Boras are thought to be looking for something closer to $200 million, but it sounds like they could double back to Baltimore if no other team takes the bait.

Davis, 29, batted .262/.361/.562 with 47 home runs and 117 RBI in 160 games this past season for the O’s. He also led all major league hitters with 208 strikeouts.

Orioles reach two-year, $7 million deal with Korean outfielder Hyun-soo Kim

hyun-soo kim
Masterpress/Getty Images AsiaPac
19 Comments

Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles have reached agreement on a two-year free agent contract with Korean outfielder Hyun-soo Kim. It’s believed to be worth $3.5 million per year, or $7 million total.

Kim, a 27-year-old left-handed hitter, registered a .318/.406/.488 batting line across 10 seasons with the Doosan Bears of the Korea Baseball Organization. He slugged a career-high 28 home runs this summer in the KBO while drawing 101 walks against 63 strikeouts.

Kim flew to the United States on Wednesday morning to work out the final details of the contract and to take his pre-signing physical. He fits the Orioles’ need for a left-handed-hitting corner outfielder, though it’s unlikely his power will fully translate. Or even partially translate.

This could turn into more of a depth signing than anything for the O’s.

Not every Korean is going to pull a Jung Ho Kang.

Angels sign Daniel Nava to one-year major league contract

Daniel Nava
AP Photo/Kathy Willens
6 Comments

According to the Angels’ official Twitter account, the club has reached agreement on a one-year major league contract with first baseman and corner outfielder Daniel Nava.

The one-year deal is worth $1.375 million and also carries some performanced-based bonuses, per Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register.

Nava batted just .194 with a .560 OPS in 166 plate appearances this summer between Boston and Tampa Bay, but the 32-year-old owns a .281/.377/.409 career batting line against right-handed pitching and could form a left-field platoon with Craig Gentry next year in Anaheim if the Angels don’t make a bolder move.

They’ve been tied recently to free agent outfielder Justin Upton.

Indians sign Rajai Davis to one-year, $5.25 million deal

Rajai Davis
AP Photo/Duane Burleson
4 Comments

As first reported by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Indians have reached agreement on a one-year contract with free agent outfielder Rajai Davis. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal says it will be worth $5.25 million with some performance-based incentives tacked on.

Davis posted a respectable .746 OPS with eight home runs and 18 stolen bases in 113 games this past season for the Tigers. He gives the Indians much-needed outfield depth with Michael Brantley recovering from major offseason shoulder surgery. There have been reports that Brantley might not be recovered until June.

Davis is 35 years old, but he still moves well and there is little risk in any one-year deal. There’s a chance he maintains starter-like playing time even when Brantley returns.