MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro has the news from Miami:
A timeline has been established as to when Giancarlo Stanton may be back in the Marlins’ lineup. The All-Star right fielder says he is hopeful to be back in about a week and a half, which means unofficially it could be the Sept. 4 series opener against the Mets at Marlins Park.
Stanton broke the hamate bone in his left hand on June 26 and underwent surgery two days later. He’s been taking swings against a pitching machine since early last week and recently added live batting practice to his daily workout routine. “I’m getting my timing and I’m almost to where I want to feel,” the 25-year-old slugger told MLB.com on Tuesday. “I’m feeling good. I’d say I’m still about a week and a half [away].”
Stanton still ranks fifth in the National League in home runs (27) despite being sidelined for two months.
Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis missed part of May and most of June because of a left shoulder injury, and he was placed back on the disabled list on July 29 with the very same issue.
There seems to be no end in sight for this thing.
Sportsnet’s Shi Davidi reports that Travis visited a specialist on Tuesday and was administered another cortisone shot. He needs more rest and rehab, and there are only five weeks left in the regular season.
Ryan Goins and Cliff Pennington have been filling in at second base for the Jays, who are currently in a dead heat with the Yankees for the American League East title. This is the latest Toronto has held a share of first place since 1993.
Travis, 24, has hit .304/.361/.498 with eight homers and 38 runs scored in 62 games this year as a rookie.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly provided a dose of positive news on Tuesday afternoon in Cincinnati, informing Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that second baseman Howie Kendrick could be cleared for minor league rehab games by the end of this week.
Kendrick has been on the disabled list since August 10 with a strained left hamstring. If everything goes according to plan, he should be able to return to the Dodgers’ active roster the first week of September.
Los Angeles landed Chase Utley from the Phillies a week or so after Kendrick went down with the hamstring strain, but Utley is 2-for-14 (.125) so far and batting just .212/.276/.330 in 297 total plate appearances this year at age 36.
Kendrick, 32, was slashing .296/.341/.418 through 105 games this season for the Dodgers, who have dropped their last five and are only 1 1/2 games up on the Giants in the National League West.