Drew Silva

AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

Johnny Cueto’s agent is trying to push his client to the Cardinals

18 Comments

You might remember a vicious brawl between the Cardinals and Reds from back in 2010 that involved Brandon Phillips, Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter, Scott Rolen, and many other big-name stars.

Johnny Cueto was also a major part of that scuffle and began kicking wildly at Cardinals players when he got pushed up against the screen that rises up from the backstop at Great American Ball Park.

One of those kicks actually ended the career of then Cardinals backup catcher Jason LaRue, who had a long history of concussions. Here’s the video if you need to be reminded …

Cueto still gets booed at Busch Stadium for his actions on that day, as does Phillips.

But with the Cardinals in the market for a front-line starting pitcher — having whiffed on David Price — could there suddenly be a fit for Cueto in St. Louis? Cueto’s agent Bryce Dixon is hoping to at least get the Cards involved in the bidding. Here’s what he told Zach Links of MLB Trade Rumors on Wednesday afternoon …

“I can’t speak to how the Cardinals feel. ..Obviously [Johnny] regrets how the fight went down,” Dixon said.  “He’s expressed regret over it in the past.  He loves pitching in the NL Central.  He’s the best pitcher of our era in the NL Central.  It would be a good marriage [between] Johnny and the Cardinals.  I think once the fans got past the fight and they saw what a gamer Johnny is and what he could bring to the team, I think they would be able to embrace him now, though I don’t think that they’ll do that overnight.”

Cueto, 29, reportedly turned down a six-year, $126 million contract from the Diamondbacks earlier this month. Since then, his market has been pretty quiet.