D.J. Short

Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Jose Fernandez says Scott Boras will be involved in innings plan with Marlins

33 Comments

All is not well between the Marlins and agent Scott Boras right now. It all started when Boras repeatedly criticized the Marlins for how they handled his client Marcell Ozuna this season. This led to Marlins president David Samson saying earlier this month that Boras will not be a part of the discussion regarding an innings plan for Jose Fernandez for 2016. Well, Fernandez sees things differently.

While making an appearance at a charity event at Marlins Park on Friday, Fernandez told Joe Frisaro of MLB.com that Boras will be part of the talks along with his surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache and team physician Dr. Lee Kaplan:

“We did this last year, with Scott Boras, [president of baseball operations] Mike Hill, [former general manager/manager] Dan Jennings,” Fernandez said. “We all talked on the phone, my doctor. Kaplan was aware. We have done this, it’s worked perfectly fine. We all agreed. We’re all on the same page.

“I do not know what all this is all about, but Scott Boras will be there because he’s my agent, and I get to decide who is going to be on my phone calls on my conference. It’s that simple.”

Fernandez, who underwent Tommy John surgery in May of 2014, made his return to the Marlins this July and posted a 2.92 ERA and 79/14 K/BB ratio in 64 2/3 innings over 11 starts. The 23-year-old missed about a month during the second half with a biceps strain, but made his way back for four starts down the stretch. He threw 172 2/3 innings as a rookie in 2013.

Of course, workload controversies are nothing new for Boras, who is also the agent for Mets right-hander Matt Harvey. The difference here is that the drama is much more about the apparently frayed relationship between the Marlins and Boras/Fernandez than the innings.

There’s been all sorts of trade speculation about Fernandez this week, but he told Frisaro that he’s “not paying attention to it at all” and his top priority is to prepare for 2016. For what it’s worth, Frisaro continues to hear that Fernandez isn’t going anywhere unless the Marlins are blown away with an offer.