In the wake of last Friday’s incident at Fenway Park, fan safety is naturally on the minds of a lot of people right now. Commissioner Rob Manfred spoke about the issue prior to tonight’s First-Year Player Draft and told Tim Britton of the Providence Journal that MLB will re-evaluate where they stand.
“Obviously the first and most important thing to say is we’re all concerned about the long-term well-being of the woman that was injured. That’s the most important issue,” Manfred said before Monday night’s First-Year Player Draft in Secaucus. “From Major League Baseball’s perspective, when you have an incident like this, you have to go back and re-evaluate where you are on all of your safety issues. Trust me, we will do that — just like we are on a variety of issues right now at the beginning of my tenure. It’s important not to lose sight of the fact that we have taken important steps in this area. Bat safety is much improved from where it was a few years ago. We spent a lot of time, effort and money to make sure that our bats are safer and we have lessened these incidents.”
According to a report from FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal over the weekend, players requested additional protective netting during negotiations for the last two collective bargaining agreements in 2007 and 2012. However, their proposal — which included extending netting down the foul lines and even to the foul poles — was rejected by owners. Asked specifically about the possibility of additional netting in MLB stadiums, Manfred said “there’s a variety of issues we’re going to take a fresh look at.”
With Astros prospect shortstop Carlos Correa about to make his major league tonight against the White Sox, it’s only fitting that we mention that Stephen Strasburg’s major league debut was five years ago today. And what a debut it was. Strasburg got the win against the Pirates after allowing two runs over seven innings and striking out 14 batters. Let’s go back in time and enjoy:
That was so much fun. While Strasburg proved worthy of the lofty expectations on that night, the unprecedented hype has almost seemed like a burden for him since. Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has a nice piece up today about his journey over the past five years.
Good news to pass along here on Tonya Carpenter, the fan who was struck in the head by a shard of a broken bat at Fenway Park during Friday’s Athletics-Red Sox game. Via Alec Shirkey of MLB.com, the family released the following statement earlier this afternoon:
“Tonya is responsive, and her condition has been upgraded from serious to fair,” the statement read. “We would like to thank everyone for their continued support, especially the fans at Fenway Park, first responders, Boston EMS, Boston Police and her care team at Beth Israel Deaconess.”
Carpenter was admitted to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center on Friday with life-threatening injuries. Her condition was listed as serious throughout the weekend. Here’s hoping the news continues to get better.
After a historic May, Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper has been a little quiet so far this month. No longer. Check out this solo blast off Cubs right-hander Jason Hammel this afternoon.
Harper now leads the majors with 19 home runs. Seattle’s Nelson Cruz and Miami’s Giancarlo Stanton are both sitting on 18 coming into Saturday’s action.
Hammel was pulled after Harper’s homer, but the Cubs hung on to beat the Nationals 4-2.
The Cardinals had some uninvited guests in their dugout last night at Dodger Stadium. Let’s just go to the video tape, which looks like the start of a comedy skit. I promise you it isn’t…
The skunks didn’t bother the Cardinals at all. Carlos Martinez struck out 11 batters over seven innings of one-run ball as part of a 2-1 victory over the Dodgers. You just know that “Rally Skunks” will somehow become a thing.