UPDATE: Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that Ramirez is considered day-to-day for now. In other words, the Red Sox will wait to see how he responds before considering a stint on the disabled list.
8:17 p.m. ET: Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that the preliminary diagnosis is a left shoulder sprain.
7:59 p.m. ET: Scary moment here for the Red Sox, as Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave tonight’s game against the Rays in the top of the first inning after running into the wall along the left-field line at Fenway Park while trying to make a catch. Check it out below:
It sure looks like a possible left shoulder injury. It’s worth noting that Ramirez previously had surgery on the same shoulder in 2007 and 2011. The Red Sox will have to cross their fingers for now.
Ramirez is off to a monster start this season, batting .283 with 10 home runs and a .949 OPS through 24 games coming into tonight’s action. The 31-year-old is in the first year of a four-year, $88 million contract and made the move to left field after signing with Boston.
UPDATE: According to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com, Rendon was diagnosed with an oblique strain following an MRI. He’ll be shut down until the injury heals.
7:16 p.m. ET: Anthony Rendon’s long road back from a left knee sprain continues to be delayed due to ongoing tightness in his side.
Rendon originally began a minor league rehab assignment with Double-A Harrisburg on April 24 and appeared in back-to-back games before side tightness kept him off the field. While he was able to return to action this past Friday and went 0-for-2 with a walk, he was scratched on Saturday and Sunday due to recurring symptoms.
According to Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com, Rendon was back in Washington. D.C. today to be examined by team doctor Dr. Wiemi Douoguih. While Nationals manager Matt Williams isn’t calling it an oblique injury, they don’t want to take any chances and make it worse.
“I don’t know why it’s been a problem. It’s just crept up on him. So we’re being cautious with it to make sure that it doesn’t turn into something we don’t want it to turn into,” Williams said.
“So last couple of days, he’s taken it easy and, you know, he went through the full workout a couple of days ago and it was tight, so we made sure yesterday, we shut him down for yesterday. And then he’s back here to see the doc today and hopefully resume.”
The Nationals have turned things around after a slow start, recently winning three out of four from the first-place Mets, but this lineup would like a whole lot scarier with a healthy Rendon. The 24-year-old is coming off a monster season in which he batted .287/.351/.473 with 21 home runs, 83 RBI, and 17 stolen bases.
Jeff Karstens hasn’t appeared in the majors since 2012 due to injury and today he took to Instagram to announce his retirement from baseball:
Karstens, 32, didn’t pitch at all last season while rehabbing from labrum surgery. He’ll finish his career with a 26-40 record and a 4.44 ERA over 91 starts and 47 relief appearances between the Yankees and Pirates. He was a useful pitcher during his time with Pittsburgh, posting a 3.59 ERA with 5.8 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9 between 2012-2013.
Mariners center fielder Austin Jackson was placed on the 15-day disabled list today, one day after suffering a right ankle sprain while legging out an infield grounder.
Jackson originally hoped to avoid the disabled list, but Mariners manager Lloyd McClendon told Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune that he wasn’t expected to be ready in two or three days and they didn’t want to go short-handed. Justin Ruggiano is expected to handle the majority of the playing time in center field during his absence.
Jackson is off to a slow start this season, batting just .242/.294/.326 with two home runs and four RBI over 25 games.
In addition to placing Jackson on the disabled list, the Mariners brought up infielder Chris Taylor and relievers Mark Lowe and Joe Biemel from Triple-A Tacoma while designating left-hander Mike Kickham for assignment and placing outfielder Julio Morban on the restricted list for personal reasons.
MLB brought the hammer down really hard on Blue Jays hitting coach Brook Jacoby for an incident with the umpiring crew while the team was in Boston last week:
It’s unclear what Jacoby did specifically, but Jeff Blair of Sportsnet.ca recently reported that Toronto’s coaching staff and Bill Miller’s umpiring crew were yelling at each other after a game last Wednesday. Apparently things got so heated that there has been a change of policy at Fenway Park as a result where visiting teams will be required to wait until the umpires come off the field before going into the dugout walkway after a game. Both use the same hallway at the stadium.
According to John Lott of the National Post, the Blue Jays have appealed the suspension. However, Jacoby isn’t allowed to be in the dugout during games even as he awaits the appeal.
Here are some more interesting details of the confrontation: