Author: D.J. Short

FLUSHING, NY - MAY 22:  Former player Keith Hernandez (L) poses for a picture with comedian Jerry Seinfeld before the game between the New York Mets and the New York Yankees at Shea Stadium on May 22, 2005 in Flushing, New York. The Yankees defeated the Mets 5-3. FLUSHING, NY - MAY 22:  Catcher Mike Piazza #31 of the New York Mets poses for a picture with comedian Jerry Seinfeld, before the game against the New York Yankees at Shea Stadium on May 22, 2005 in Flushing, New York. The Yankees defeated the Mets 5-3.  Seinfeld threw the first pitch of the game.  (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Keith Hernandez is bringing back his mustache in support of the New York Rangers


Keith Hernandez shaved his trademark mustache in September of 2012 and the world has felt slightly off since. However, I have some good news to pass along here, as Hernandez has announced his intentions to bring it back.

There’s a bit of a catch, though. Hernandez said during the Brewers-Mets game on SNY last night that he’s growing it support of the New York Rangers and their quest for the Stanley Cup. He started when they were down 3-1 to the Washington Capitals in the second round of the playoffs and doesn’t want to mess with what’s working.

So yes, this could all be temporary or maybe he’ll decide to keep it. As I said on Twitter yesterday upon hearing the news, this is sort of like your favorite band going on a reunion tour.

Video: Giancarlo Stanton launched another massive home run

stanton getty

Ho-hum: Another day, another massive home run from Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton.

After hitting two home runs last night vs. the Braves, including one into the camera well in distant center field, Stanton topped himself today with a blast to the second deck in center field. StatCast said it checked in at 478 feet, which Daren Wilman notes is three feet further than the one that left Dodger Stadium on Tuesday. Check it out below:

Just ridiculous. By the way, how about the bare-handed catch by that fan? I’m going to assume that his hand has since swollen up to the size (and potentially the color) of the home run sculpture.

Miguel Cabrera hits his 400th career home run

miguel cabrera tigers getty

After hitting career home run No. 399 last night, Tigers first baseman Miguel Cabrera reached 400 this afternoon with a solo home run off left-hander Tyler Lyons in the top of the first inning against the Cardinals.

Cabrera, 32, is the 53rd player in baseball history to reach 400 career home runs. He joins Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre, who just hit his 400th career home run last night. Cabrera needed 604 fewer games to get there.

Today’s home run had some additional special meaning, as Cabrera now ranks first all-time in home runs by a Venezuelan-born player. He was tied with Andres Galarraga at 399.

Here’s some additional context from our own Aaron Gleeman:

Henderson Alvarez to be activated from disabled list Sunday

MIAMI, FL - APRIL 12:  Pitcher Henderson Alvarez #37 of the Miami Marlins pitches during a MLB game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Marlins Park on April 12, 2015 in Miami, Florida.  (Photo by Ronald C. Modra /Sports Imagery/ Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez went down last month with shoulder inflammation, but Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that he’ll be activated from the disabled list to make his return Sunday against the Braves.

Alvarez was Miami’s Opening Day starter this season and allowed six runs in 12 innings over his first two starts prior to being placed on the disabled list. There were some concerns about his elbow in addition to his shoulder, but fortunately for the Marlins, the issue turned out to be minor. The 25-year-old was cleared to return after striking out five batters over six scoreless innings Tuesday in his lone minor league rehab start with High-A Jupiter.

Tom Koehler has been serving as the team’s fifth starter, but Alvarez’s return is expected to push him into a bullpen role.

Rockies GM Jeff Bridich calls Troy Tulowitzki trade speculation a “media production”

tulowitzki getty

We’ve heard a ton of speculation this week regarding Troy Tulowitzki’s future with the Rockies. The team’s recent losing streak has been a big part of it, but there was also a report in the New York Post this week which stated that Tulowitzki was set to meet with his agent to discuss whether to ask the team for a trade. The All-Star shortstop said Thursday that he doesn’t plan to force his way out of Colorado and that the decision is in the team’s hands, but Rockies GM Jeff Bridich told Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post yesterday that he mostly sees the situation as a “media production.”

“What’s gone on the last few days, especially the last 72 hours, really has a been a media production, more than anything else,” Bridich said. “It started with a couple of articles coming out of the East Coast — and another one on Since then, it’s really been mostly a media production.”

Given where the Rockies stand, it’s only natural that Tulowitzki will be floated as a trade possibility, especially with several teams in need of an upgrade at shortstop. The Mets figure prominently in that. However, this specific situation wasn’t completely manufactured. Tulowitzki’s agent, Paul Cohen, was quoted in that New York Post piece and said that it would be “silly” to think that a trade isn’t a possibility and that it “doesn’t take a rocket scientist” to understand why the topic is heating up. That’s the kind of stuff that gets people talking.

Speculation aside, Bridich said that Tulowitzki “doesn’t have control of this and neither does his agent.” So if they want to keep him, they will. That appears to be the plan for now. Of course, a trade could be rendered moot if Tulowitzki can’t stay healthy. He left last night’s game with left quadriceps tightness and is considered day-to-day.