D.J. Short

SAN DIEGO, CA - JULY 18:  Troy Tulowitzki #2 of the Colorado Rockies yells after turning a double play during the first inning of a baseball game against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park July 18, 2015 in San Diego, California.  (Photo by Denis Poroy/Getty Images)

The Mets have called about Troy Tulowitzki, but the Rockies aren’t biting

34 Comments

We heard earlier this afternoon that the Mets are looking at Justin Upton of the Padres among other outfield targets, but FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal and Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan are both reporting that the team has also been in touch with the Rockies about shortstop Troy Tulowitzki. So far, there’s not much momentum toward a possible deal:

As for Rosenthal, he hears the Mets are “under the impression that Colorado does not want to trade” Tulowitzki.

Tulowitzki is still owed more than $100 million through 2021, which has long led to skepticism about whether the Mets would be able to afford him. Even putting that aside, the Rockies don’t seem motivated to move their star shortstop even though they are headed for their fifth straight losing season and could use some pieces for the future. Tulowitzki is 30 years old and has battled injuries in recent seasons, so trading him in a year where he has managed to stay healthy could be perfect timing, but it would clearly require a major haul to convince them to move their face of the franchise. The impact on the fanbase must be considered.

Barring a change of heart from the Rockies, the Mets appear likely to move ahead with Ruben Tejada as their primary shortstop. Wilmer Flores has been playing second base in recent weeks, but he’ll likely move into a part-time role after the acquisitions of Kelly Johnson and Juan Uribe on Friday. Johnson is starting at second base on Saturday with Daniel Murphy at third.

Freddie Freeman activated from disabled list

Freddie Freeman
1 Comment

Apparently only one minor league rehab game was all Freddie Freeman needed to prove his health, as the Braves announced this afternoon that the first baseman was activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Freeman has been sidelined since June 17 with a bone bruise and “aggravated ligaments” in his right wrist. He began a minor league rehab assignment yesterday with Triple-A Gwinnett and went 2-for-4 with a home run. The original plan called for him to be activated next Thursday, but Mark Bowman of MLB.com writes that the timeline likely changed after the Braves traded Juan Uribe and Kelly Johnson to the Mets on Friday.

Kevin McAlpin of the Braves Radio Network reports that Freeman is not slated to arrive in St. Louis until a little bit before tonight’s game against the Cardinals, so the expectation is that he’ll be available off the bench tonight before returning to the starting lineup tomorrow.

Freeman, 25, is batting .299/.367/.520 with 12 home runs and 41 RBI over 66 games this season. The Braves have gone 13-17 during his absence.

Reggie Jackson has heated exchange with autograph-seeking fan

OAKLAND, CA - MAY 30:  Former New York Yankee Reggie Jackson looks on during batting practice before the game against the Oakland Athletics at O.co Coliseum on May 30, 2015 in Oakland, California. The New York Yankees defeated the Oakland Athletics 5-3. (Photo by Jason O. Watson/Getty Images)
38 Comments

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson got into a heated exchange with an autograph-seeking fan Friday while in Cooperstown, New York for this weekend’s ceremonies.

The incident occurred after Jackson and other Hall of Famers attended a party at the home of Hall chairperson Jane Forbes Clark. Jackson left to go to dinner with four friends and said he found himself in a crowd of people when he tried to exit out the back of the restaurant.

Jackson recognized one of the autograph seekers. He had already obtained Jackson’s autograph earlier in the day at their golf outing and tried to get a second one, Jackson said, which led to an exchange on the golf course.

“’I told you, I want to sign autographs,’’’ Jackson said that he told him, “’and you’re screwing it up for everyone, but no more.’

“The same guy turned up for dinner. I said, ‘Hey, this guy, no autographs.’ I used profanity, and told him no more autographs with profanity in it.

“I turned and walked away.’’

TMZ posted a 17-second video clip of the exchange, which includes very graphic and regrettable language. According to Bill Madden of the New York Daily News, Jackson appeared to shove the fan in question. However, Jackson vehemently denies that the altercation turned physical.

Nationals activate Anthony Rendon from the disabled list

Anthony Rendon
4 Comments

The first-place Nationals have limped out of the All-Star break, but they are about to get a boost to their lineup, as infielder Anthony Rendon has been activated from the 15-day disabled list after missing the past month with a strained left quad.

Rendon began a minor league rehab assignment a week ago with High-A Potomac and went 8-for-17 (.471) with two doubles over six games. He’s playing second base and batting second in his return tonight against the Pirates. Meanwhile, Yunel Escobar is back at third base after missing two games with a sore left wrist.

Rendon began the season on the disabled list with a sprained MCL in his left knee before suffering an oblique strain, so he has only appeared in 18 games this season. Finally having him healthy down the stretch would be huge for the Nationals, who also have Jayson Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, and Denard Span making their way back from injuries.

The Mets won’t meet the Padres’ asking price for Justin Upton

San Diego Padres v San Francisco Giants
23 Comments

The Mets acquired third baseman Juan Uribe and infielder-outfielder Kelly Johnson from the Braves on Friday in exchange for two minor league pitchers, but they aren’t done trying to upgrade their weak offense. The biggest name on the market is Padres outfielder Justin Upton, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Mets have been turned off by the team’s lofty asking price.

The Mets and Padres are currently at an impasse in talks involving star San Diego outfielder Justin Upton after the Padres asked for at least one high-end prospect back, and possibly two.

The Mets walked away after a suggestion that included a big prospect or two and no payment toward Upton’s $14.5-million salary, though it isn’t known whether they could resume talks at some point.

Upton is due to become a free agent after the season, so this would purely be a rental situation. Getting multiple premium prospects in return is probably unlikely, but the Padres should still be able to do better than the compensatory draft pick they would get if they kept him and made a qualifying offer this fall. Helping cover some of his remaining salary could sweeten a potential match with the Mets and other contenders.

Upton, 27, is batting .248/.326/.420 with 15 home runs, 49 RBI, and 17 steals over 91 games this season. He got off to a strong start in San Diego, but has struggled for the past two months.

In their search for an outfield bat, the Mets have also been linked to Upton’s teammate Will Venable, as well as Gerardo Parra and Carlos Gomez of the Brewers and Jay Bruce and Marlon Byrd of the Reds.