ESPN announced yesterday that that radio host Colin Cowherd would no longer appear on the network following his offensive remarks earlier this week in which he insulted the intelligence of baseball players from the Dominican Republic.
MLB released a strongly-worded statement condemning Cowherd’s comments, which surely put extra pressure on ESPN to pull the plug. Cowherd is set to leave for FOX soon anyway, so he’s just being taken off the air a bit earlier than originally expected. Of course, FOX is a long-standing rightsholder with MLB, so it will be interesting to see if this has any further ramifications.
Pedro Martinez, who will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame this weekend, was asked about Cowherd’s comments yesterday. The Dominican Republic native had the perfect answer (via Richard Sandomir of the New York Times):
“I’m sorry. He needs to get to my level to answer him. I’m in the Hall of Fame.”
As always, Pedro is the best.
UPDATE: Martinez spoke more about the situation this afternoon in Cooperstown. Check it out below:
With his wife about to give birth to their second child, Mets left-hander Jon Niese wasn’t sure if he would even be able to pitch last night. He ended up making the start against the Dodgers, giving up six runs over a season-low three innings, and his wife gave birth during the game. However, he didn’t miss the event completely.
According to Daniel Popper of the New York Daily News, Niese watched the birth of his son via FaceTime before departing on a flight to Ohio. Surely he wanted to be there in person with his wife, but technology is pretty cool. And seeing his baby boy probably took the sting away from a rough night on the mound.
The Mets placed Niese on the paternity leave list this morning and recalled right-hander Logan Verrett from Triple-A Las Vegas.
We routinely cover the minutiae of injuries around here, so it’s easy to get desensitized to it. But this one will truly make you cringe.
Athletics outfielder Billy Burns was forced to exit Friday’s game against the Giants due to what was referred to as a “testicular contusion.” That’s right. Burns suffered the injury in the bottom of the third inning when he tapped a foul ball and was hit in a very sensitive area. While he somehow managed to finish the at-bat, he didn’t feel well enough to continue after going out to play defense in the top of the fourth.
Here’s his explanation to Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com:
“It never got better,” Burns said. “I felt like I was going to throw up in the outfield. I could run fine, but as soon as I was trying to stand up, that was the worst. The left side of my stomach has been hurting ever since.”
Burns said he’s dealing with swelling in the ureter tube that leads to the bladder. You know, just in case you want the really painful details. The good news is that it isn’t something that is expected to send him to the disabled list. Athletics manager Bob Melvin said he’s doubtful to play this afternoon, but it sounds like he should be back relatively soon.
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters Thursday that he has no plans on trading Matt Harvey, Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, or Steven Matz. However, it appears that another one of their young guns is on the table in the right deal.
According to Andy Martino and Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News, the Mets have discussed right-hander Zack Wheeler in trade talks this month. Wheeler, of course, had Tommy John surgery in March and will likely be out until around midseason next year, but he’s just 25 years old and is under team control through 2019.
The Reds (who are known to be shopping Jay Bruce, among others) are one of the teams who inquired on Wheeler, though nothing is going on with them currently and Martino and Ackert are hearing that the Mets “remain unlikely to move him.” It’s unclear how the dynamic has changed after Friday’s deal for Juan Uribe and Kelly Johnson, but the Mets could use another outfielder. Wheeler is an interesting case given that he’s not going to pitch again for a while, but he has the potential to bring back a valuable piece.
Yasiel Puig’s name has been floated in trade speculation this week, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Dodgers have told the outfielder that they don’t plan to trade him this season.
Puig asked the Dodgers about his status after he heard about a rumor which linked him to the Reds. According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, the rumored return package included Aroldis Chapman and Johnny Cueto. That would be quite a blockbuster, but it turns out it was never actually discussed. Meanwhile, Heyman hears that the Dodgers “are not having any conversations about Puig and are not interested in moving him.”
Puig missed a large chunk of the early part of the season due to hamstring injury and has had a pretty quiet year when healthy enough to play, batting .259 with six home runs and a .759 OPS. Still, he’s just 24 years old and remains under team control through 2019. He might not be the most popular guy in the Dodgers’ clubhouse, but you don’t give up on this sort of talent unless there’s a monster deal coming down the pike. That scenario hasn’t presented itself yet.