Jon Lester waiting around may bother those of us who are paid to keep track of such things. But why the heck should he care? His waiting it out has, apparently, had the desired effect: Ken Rosenthal:
Lester’s offers all are in the six-year, $150 million range, sources said. One team — it is not known which one — indicated it would go to the seven-year, $175 million range. But Lester would not necessarily choose that team even at that level, one source said.
Those offers are from the Cubs, Giants, Dodgers and Red Sox.
Yesterday Rosenthal said that Lester is choosing between the Giants and the Cubs. He suggests that’s still the case, even if no one has been officially eliminated. Which, why would anyone associated with Lester say that anyone is officially eliminated?
One change: Unlike yesterday, when it was reported that Lester would pick a suitor no later than this morning, Rosenthal now says Lester’s decision could stretch into Wednesday. So stay tuned.
Despite reports that the Yankees were “heavily invested” in David Robertson before the White Sox signed him, Jack Curry says something different:
I think it’s reasonable to say that the Yankees are happy with their bullpen how it is, what with the Andrew Miller signing, but I also think it’s a bit shocking to learn that they didn’t even make an offer to Robertson in the hopes if building a super-bullpen of some sort.
File this under “it’s the Winter Meetings and people say weird crap all the time,” but wouldn’t this be fun?
I’d like to think this is being floated just to annoy Red Sox fans. But of course, The Rivalry has been pretty boring the past couple of years, so I doubt anyone with the Yankees is invested enough to simply seek to annoy them. Also, the latest reports have Lester choosing between the Giants and Cubs.
For what it’s worth, on paper Lester-to-the-Yankees makes all kinds of sense given their needs, their funds and all of that, but to date they have barely been mentioned in connection with him.
Worth watching, though.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com was on the scene when a reporter asked Phillies president Pat Gillick about whether or not Ruben Amaro, whose contract is up after the 2015 season, will survive the season with his job. Gillick:
“I’ve got his back . . . I’ve got confidence in him . . . Ruben didn’t all of a sudden get dumb. People don’t want to hear this, but there were five years from 2007 to 2011 and the last year in 2011 we won 102 games. He didn’t all of a sudden get stupid the last three years.”
Amaro is certainly under a lot of pressure at the moment, tasked with tearing down and rebuilding a Phillies team that got old, expensive and not very competitive in a hurry. Task number one is trading Cole Hamels for a good return and possibly unloading Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins.
It won’t be an easy task. And it may be one that will be completed by someone else.
Round two in Missouri for Colby Rasmus? ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reports that Rasmus is on the Royals’ list of outfield options.
Rasmus has never really lived up to the potential many believes he has, struggling against lefties and never really getting on base at the clip people though he could four or five years ago, he’s only 28 years old, but, barring a breakout season, he’s probably running out of time to be an everyday outfielder. Going to a place like Kansas City where an outfield job is open for him, as opposed to a situation where he has to fight for a job, may be the best thing for him.