Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said today that third baseman David Wright is at least another week from potentially coming off the disabled list.
Wright has been out since April 15 with a strained right hamstring and will likely need at least a brief minor-league rehab assignment before rejoining the active roster.
Triple-A call-up Eric Campbell has started all 14 games at third base in Wright’s absence, hitting .222 with one homer and a .706 OPS after posting similar numbers in 85 games for the Mets as a rookie last season.
A’s closer Sean Doolittle, who’s been shut down since January with a partially torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder, threw a 25-pitch bullpen session today.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Doolittle will throw another bullpen session Sunday, at which point he could be cleared to face live hitters. His return timetable remains mid-May at the earliest, giving Tyler Clippard a bit more time as the A’s closer.
A converted first baseman, Doolittle has been one of the best relievers in the league since debuting for the A’s in 2012 with a 2.97 ERA and 209/32 K/BB ratio in 179 innings.
Stephen Drew is hitting .177 this season after hitting .162 last season, but Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told reporters there are no plans to change second basemen.
In fact, when Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York asked Cashman about Drew’s status the GM replied: “No … I’m surprised you asked the question.”
There are two younger, cheaper options at Triple-A in Jose Pirela and Rob Refsnyder, but one of them is injured and the other hasn’t hit well early on. And while his batting average has been ugly, Drew does have four homers, nine walks, and a decent .693 OPS.
Drew re-signed with the Yankees on a one-year, $5 million deal after a miserable 2014 season that included holding out for a better free agent offer that never arrived.
Right-hander Adrian Salcedo, a Double-A reliever in the Twins’ farm system, has been suspended 80 games following a positive test for banned substances Tamoxifen and Heptaminol.
Salcedo was once among the Twins’ top pitching prospects as a starter in the low minors, but his stocked dropped and led to a shift to the bullpen in 2013. He was off to a good start at Double-A with a 1.38 ERA in 13 innings, but this knocks the 24-year-old out until July and lessens his already slim odds of reaching the big leagues.
Salcedo’s suspension comes just a few weeks after the biggest free agent signing in Twins history, Ervin Santana, was suspended 80 games before even throwing a regular season pitch.
Ryan Vogelsong served up four homers to the Dodgers last night and has allowed 22 runs in 19 innings this season, but the Giants are sticking with the 37-year-old right-hander in the rotation.
Here’s what manager Bruce Bochy told Alex Pavlovic of CSNBayArea.com:
We need him right now. We have a couple pitchers on the DL. Hopefully he puts this behind him and gets back on track the way he did in his previous game. Right now, we need him. We’ll talk as always, but it’s tough when you’ve got two other starters on the DL. We need all these guys to hopefully pitch well and give us a quality start.
Fair enough, but even with starters Matt Cain and Jake Peavy on the disabled list the Giants still have Yusmeiro Petit in the bullpen as a jack-of-all-trades fill-in if needed.
Vogelsong turned his career around with back-to-back standout seasons for the Giants in 2011 and 2012, but he’s 12-21 with a 4.91 ERA in 308 innings since then and this offseason San Francisco made little effort to re-sign him before finally bringing him back for $4 million in late January.