Matt Garza left the Brewers and traveled to California to be with his pregnant wife for the upcoming birth of their twins and Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that he’s not expected to rejoin the team this season.
MLB paternity leaves typically last a few days, rather than multiple weeks, but Garza’s relationship with the Brewers has become increasingly rocky thanks to his poor performance and refusal to pitch out of the bullpen after being dropped from the rotation.
So basically they told him to just stay away until next season, since he wasn’t going to pitch out of the bullpen anyway.
Brewers manager Craig Counsell told McCalvy that Garza left the team on “good terms” and says they had “a very good conversation” before his departure, but the veteran right-hander is owed $25 million for the next two seasons and clearly the team would love to shed that contract from the books this offseason.
Trevor Bauer got off to a nice start this season, at which point many people figured the former top prospect and No. 3 overall pick had turned a corner in his career and was ready to emerge as a front-line starter for the Indians.
That didn’t happen–not even close, in fact–and today the Indians announced that Bauer has been demoted to the bullpen.
Bauer tossed seven shutout innings against the Cubs on June 16, at which point he had a 3.22 ERA and 87/37 K/BB ratio in 81 innings while holding opponents to a .209 batting average.
Since then he’s got a 6.10 ERA in 87 innings, although his 83/39 K/BB ratio isn’t that far off from what he did during the first couple months of the season. The biggest change for Bauer has been serving up 16 homers in those 87 innings, which mixes especially badly with his always shaky control.
Bauer is still just 24 years old and his raw stuff is legit–he throws hard and has 336 strikeouts in 354 career innings–but his bad control and overall inconsistency have been incredibly frustrating from a development standpoint and it’s possible the Indians could look to trade him this offseason.
After numerous delays and setbacks in his recovery from a left shoulder injury Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis has been shut down for the remainder of the season and will undergo exploratory surgery, the team announced.
Toronto certainly has plenty of offensive firepower with or without Travis, but adding the 24-year-old rookie to the bottom of the lineup would have made the Blue Jays even scarier. Prior to the injury in late July he hit .304 with eight homers, 18 doubles, and an .859 OPS in 62 games to emerge as a leading Rookie of the Year candidate.
Ryan Goins will continue to serve as the primary second baseman in Travis’ absence, bringing a lot less offense and more defense to the table.