Red Sox pitching prospect and 2014 first-round draft pick Michael Kopech fractured his pitching hand while fighting with a teammate, Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports.
Kopech was previously suspended 50 games last season for the use of a stimulant, so the Red Sox are understandably frustrated by the 19-year-old right-hander’s behavior.
Here’s what general manager Mike Hazen said in announcing the injury:
It was stupid. He’s going to have to grow up, obviously, with the things that have happened so far. He’s got a long road to go to get to the big leagues. He obviously has a ton of potential. He’s got a long way to go. These types of things, you don’t want to put more barriers in front of you than playing professional baseball already presents you.
If nothing else, anyone who’s ever watched “Bull Durham” knows the key to any pitcher getting into a fight is to throw punches with your non-pitching hand. Nuke LaLoosh even seemed to grasp that concept.
Kopech spent last season at low Single-A and threw just 65 innings before being suspended, so he’s years from entering the Red Sox’s plans even if things go well. And they aren’t, to say the least.
No word yet on his expected recovery timetable, but Kopech is wearing a cast and won’t be back on the mound anytime soon. Again.
Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina took a big step today in his recovery from a pair of thumb surgeries, hitting off a tee for the first time.
Molina told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post Dispatch afterward that things went well enough that he plans to hit live pitching in a batting cage and possibly even catch in a game within the next week.
Molina initially had surgery in November to repair a torn thumb ligament, but then needed a follow-up surgery two months later. His uncertain status played a big part in the Cardinals signing backup catcher Brayan Pena to a two-year, $5 million deal after years of barely using backup Tony Cruz to give Molina time off.
Opening Day remains the goal for Molina, but it’s possible the 33-year-old seven-time All-Star will begin the season on the disabled list even if there isn’t a significant setback in the recovery process.
For the second straight day Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton is out of the lineup with soreness in his right knee.
Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Stanton “arrived early to Marlins camp on Tuesday and he took part in a series of drills” to test his injured knee, but wasn’t able to convince the team that he’s healthy enough to play. He originally suffered the injury Saturday.
According to Frisaro “the general feeling is Stanton will be fine” and “the team is being extra cautious” by keeping him out of the lineup. Stanton did have surgery on the same knee in 2012, which makes it more than a typical day-to-day worry.
Stanton was limited to just 74 games last season because of a broken left hand and he’s missed an average of 48 games per season since playing a career-high 150 games in 2011.