Getty Images

Jeurys Familia undergoes surgery

4 Comments

Mets’ closer Jeurys Familia underwent surgery on Friday, per a team announcement. Familia was placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to May 11, but no details pertaining to the specifics of the procedure or the right-hander’s estimated return date have been revealed yet. An arterial clot was discovered in his right shoulder on Thursday, though general manager Sandy Alderson told reporters that Familia had been experiencing symptoms prior to Wednesday’s outing against the Giants.

Whether or not Familia will return before the end of the season is pure speculation at this point, but similar injuries have typically taken several months of rehab. Newsday’s Marc Carig spoke to former Mets’ right-hander Dillon Gee, who was also diagnosed with a blood clot in his shoulder back in 2012. “This stuff can get pretty serious,” Gee told Carig. “But if you want to play again, you have to address the cause.”

Familia pitched through just 9 1/3 innings this season, delivering a 3.86 ERA, three saves, a 7.7 BB/9 and 9.6 SO/9 in 11 appearances. He racked up an impressive 77 2/3 innings during his 2016 run, nearly tying his 78-inning career-high mark, but looks unlikely to match that total again this season after serving a 15-game suspension for domestic violence charges and rehabbing an injured arm.

Without their closer, the Mets are expected to revert to a seven-man bullpen, though it doesn’t sound like another acquisition is entirely out of the question. If anyone is poised to add depth this early in the season, it’s the Mets. They’ve lost nine players to the disabled list since the start of the year, including Noah Syndergaard, Yoenis Cespedes, Travis d'Arnaud and Steven Matz, among several others.

Report: Blue Jays and Marco Estrada nearing agreement on contract extension

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Jon Morosi reports that the Blue Jays and starter Marco Estrada are nearing an agreement on a contract extension. The deal is expected to be for one guaranteed year, Morosi adds.

Estrada, 34, was set to become a free agent after the season. He earned $26 million on a two-year contract signed with the Jays in November 2015. While the right-hander has a subpar 4.84 ERA on the season, he has a solid 170/67 K/BB ratio in 176 2/3 innings and has looked much better since the end of July. Between July 31 and his most recent start on Saturday, Estrada owns a 3.75 ERA.

J.A. Happ is the only other starter technically under contract with the Jays next season. Marcus Stroman will be eligible for his second year of arbitration and the Jays will certainly agree to give him a raise on his $3.4 million salary for the 2017 season. The Jays will likely be active this offseason in adding rotation help and they’re starting early by locking up Estrada.

Video: Jackie Bradley, Jr. robs Chris Davis of a home run

Jason Miller/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley, Jr. robbed Orioles first baseman Chris Davis of his 25th home run on Tuesday evening, leaping at the fence in center field to make the catch and keep the game scoreless in the bottom of the fifth inning.

Davis swung at the first pitch he saw from Drew Pomeranz, a slider that crossed the middle of the plate.

This game has potential playoff implications, as the first-place Red Sox hold a three-game lead over the Yankees in the NL East. Meanwhile, the Orioles are still in the AL Wild Card race, trailing the Twins by 5.5 games for the second Wild Card slot.