Blue Jays’ right-hander Aaron Sanchez has been assigned to the 10-day disabled list after dealing with a blister on his right middle finger, the team announced on Sunday. The move is retroactive to April 15 and gives Sanchez an approximate return date of April 25, but MLB.com’s Gregor Chisholm speculates that a more long-term problem lies ahead of the starter. No concrete timetable for the pitcher’s return has been released yet.
Sanchez first dealt with the blister back in spring training, though Chisholm reports that the 24-year-old righty has had a history of blister issues on his right index finger as well. He recovered to start the season with the Blue Jays and pitched through two outings before serious discomfort set in, stumbling over seven hits and five runs during Toronto’s extra-inning loss to the Orioles on Friday. Sanchez told reporters that the blisters have impacted his ability to effectively command his curveball, causing his index finger to become sore with continued use.
My first two or three or four in a game are really good and once you continue to do that, now it starts to impact my sinker, now it starts to affect other pitches,” Sanchez said. “I can’t keep going out there and faking. If I don’t feel at my best, you’re not going to get the best of me and it’s just not worth it for me and it’s not worth it for the team. We’ve come to a decision to hopefully knock this thing [out] and hopefully it never comes back.
The right-hander is expected to consult with a hand specialist during the upcoming week, while the Blue Jays are prepared to skip his start and shuffle the rotation order while they try to find a temporary replacement for their No. 5 starter.
Three players were suspended on Monday after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs. They are: Indians pitcher Steve Delabar, Mariners pitcher Jonathan Aro, and free agent pitcher Jeffry Hernandez. Aro got a 50-game suspension while the other two were handed 80-game suspensions.
Delabar, 33, hasn’t pitched yet this season after signing a minor league deal with the Indians back in January. He spent last year with the Reds as well as the Hiroshima Carp in the Japan Central League. The right-hander has struggled over the last few seasons.
Aro, 26, also hasn’t appeared yet this season in the minors. He’s worked mostly in relief. The right-hander appeared briefly in the majors with the Mariners last season and logged 10 1/3 innings in the show with the Red Sox in 2015. Aro went to the Mariners along with Wade Miley in the trade that brought the Red Sox Carson Smith and Roenis Elias.
Hernandez, 22, is a free agent and his suspension will be effective if and when he signs with a new team.
The Phillies announced on Monday that starter Aaron Nola has been placed on the 10-day disabled list, retroactive to April 21, with a lower back strain.
Nola, 23, compiled a 4.50 ERA with a 15/6 K/BB ratio over his first three starts spanning 16 innings. He felt some back soreness during his last start on Thursday against the Mets, and it lingered when he had a side session on Sunday.
CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury hears that the Phillies are likely to call up Nick Pivetta from Triple-A Lehigh Valley to take Nola’s place in the rotation. Nola was scheduled to start on Wednesday.
Pivetta, 24, was acquired from the Nationals in the Jonathan Papelbon trade in July 2015. At Triple-A so far, Pivetta has given up only two earned runs on 12 hits and two walks with 24 strikeouts in 19 innings.