Jason Miller/Getty Images

Report: David Price will almost certainly begin regular season on the disabled list

4 Comments

Red Sox manager John Farrell said on Tuesday that starter David Price will almost certainly begin the regular season the disabled list, Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal reports. The news isn’t surprising as Price is dealing with elbow discomfort, but he and the team at least recently received good news that he could rest the elbow, avoiding a surgical procedure which would have cut into most or all of his season.

Price, 31, signed a seven-year, $217 million contract with the Red Sox in December 2015. It certainly hasn’t gone well thus far as Price put up a 3.99 ERA in 35 starts last season, his highest mark since 2009 as a 23-year-old. The lefty did carry a 228/50 K/BB ratio while throwing a major league-best 230 innings.

Eduardo Rodriguez will likely slot into the starting rotation while Price is out. Henry Owens also remains an option in the event Rodriguez doesn’t pitch well.

Steven Matz likely to start season on DL; Zack Wheeler to adhere to innings limit

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
2 Comments

Mets manager Terry Collins said on Wednesday, “It’s unlikely that [Steven Matz] will start the season with us.” The final spot in the Mets’ starting rotation will go to either Zack Wheeler or Seth Lugo, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.

On Wheeler’s innings limit, assistant GM John Ricco said, “There’s going to be some number but we don’t exactly know what that is.” Wheeler missed the last two seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery.

Neither Wheeler nor Lugo have had terrific springs as each carries a 5.11 and 5.56 Grapefruit League ERA, respectively. However, Carig notes that Wheeler has impressed simply by appearing healthy and brandishing a fastball that once again sits in the mid- to high-90’s. Lugo, meanwhile, proved crucial to the Mets last year, posting a 2.67 ERA across eight starts and nine relief appearances.

Rockies sign 30-year lease to stay in Coors Field

Bart Young/Getty Images
7 Comments

Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies agreed to a $200 million, 30-year lease with the Metropolitan Baseball Stadium District, which is the state division that owns Coors Field. As part of the deal, the Rockies will lease and develop a plot of land south of the stadium, which will cost the team $125 million for 99 years.

As Groke points out, had the Rockies not reached a deal by Thursday, March 30, the lease would have rolled over for five more years.

Rockies owner Dick Monfort issued a statement, saying, “We are proud that Coors Field will continue to be a vital part of a vibrant city, drawing fans from near and far and making our Colorado residents proud.”

The Rockies moved into Coors Field in 1995. It is the National League’s third oldest stadium. In that span of time, the Rockies have made the playoffs three times, the last coming in 2009 when they lost in the NLDS to the Phillies. The Rockies were swept in the 2007 World Series by the Red Sox.